Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Paid Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

I am in need of a very good PAID anti-virus. I may be mislead, but I figure that if I pay for it I will get all the bells and whistles. Any recommendations? The are all kinds out there but I do not know enough to choose.

I have McAfee and have,had some big problems them. Last night I was,told by a tech that they are only trained in Malwarebytes removal. I could not get into logmein123 because I kept getting a,"Check Your Network Connections". He had no idea regarding helping me correct the Network problem with the above exlanation.
I admit that I was beyond livid over spending many hours running your scans (very good!!!)which flagged the svchost.exe files as suspicious. MBAMs Adware Cleaner found 2 PUP.Optional files in the registry, but McAfee scan showed all OK.
Then they berated Malwarebytes, Hit man Pro and the stuff you sent.
This is the 5th time they have pulled this crap.
Anyway, I just got rid of the PUPs with Adware Cleaner. Just ran HitMan Pro. Problem seems to be corrected. It did not flag the svchost this time. I re-checked Task Manager and all the graphs are back to normal. (This last part maybe needs to be under another topic???)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

For what it's worth...there is no "best" when it comes to such, IMO.

But I don't mind paying for ESET because I feel that you don't get all the junk that some others load onto your system...and it's as good as any other AV, if not better, at protecting the system.

Louis

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

Thsnks! I'll kick the tires on it and do a test drive.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

For what it's worth...there is no "best" when it comes to such, IMO.

Amen!   You will get many different opinions on what's "best," some educated and some not.

You can take what follows for what you think it's worth:  Paid antivirus is not necessarily any better than free antivirus.   Windows Defender has been radically improved over the last several years and is now landing in many "Top 10" lists.  That being said, our quietman7 (who definitely falls under the "educated opinions" category) has given excellent advice on more than one occasion.  The following are three "must reads," in my opinion, and the last one particularly pertinent with regard to "Top 10" or "Best" lists:

Reflections on Antivirus/Antimalware Testing & Comparisons   

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective and offer excellent behavior blocking and anti-exploit protection against ransomware but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of warning/detecting the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for more specific details as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

Thanks to all. I loaded the ESET Node32 anti-virus. I gave it a test drive and already it has flagged a couple of suspicious sites and blocked some malicious pop-ups, I guess is what they are called. They came up in the lower left right along with Malwarebytes, which also blocked them. Got the 2 PC subscription and it is so easy to use, compared with the last one I had.I have Malwarebytes Premium and HitMan Pro, so that should cover everything, as long as they don't conflict with each other.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:57 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective and offer excellent behavior blocking and anti-exploit protection against ransomware but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources... ... ...

Emsisoft has a Behavior Blocker (BB)... stemming from Mamutu days & A-squared days. I *thought* NOD32's thingee was a HIPS rather than a BB gun. Was I thinking wrong?

#9 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:07 AM

I had given up on McAfee after being told they are only trained in malware removal, not PCs in general, but my Net Nanny safe browsing filter is not compatible with ESET and some others. Had no choice but to go back to them.
As,for the internet connection problem that has plagued me for 3 months, and after repeated calls and emails, and forum posts, the fifth time I talked to Net Nanny one of the techs checked the box for Filter contents of SSL/TSL, and UNchecked the box on filter secure content, it solved the long-standing problem in 5 minutes.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:49 AM

UNchecked the box on filter secure content

I guess you recognize that will prevent the filter functions from being applied to secure connections?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 bellgamin

bellgamin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

Webroot Secure Anywhere (WSA) is yet another "Best Paid Antivirus" IMO. It does its work primarily in the cloud so it is VERY light on a computer's memory, HD, & CPU. A few years ago, WSA absorbed PREVX, an excellent NON-signature-based security app. Since then WSA has built on its PREVX background and (of course) also uses metadata-based algorithms, as well. At Wilders Security  Forum, WSA has an excellent reputation manifested by a very lengthy & active thread.

As far as I could determine, WSA has never been publicly lab tested. However, there is a relatively recent  PCMagazine review of WSA that explains why this is so. That same article also provides a lot of information concerning the methodology behind WSA. Although I usually take PCMag's reviews with a grain of salt, IMO their review of WSA's pros & cons is quite brilliant. If you are a "learner" when it comes to security apps (as am I), I think you will find that article to be excellent reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users