Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart as if computer lost power - Kernel Power (41)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tearsdale

Tearsdale

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hey everyone,

I turn to you, because the internet seems to believe that this is a good place to go with computer troubles. And mine is giving me trouble. To sum it up, while playing games (although not ones that are particularly un-demanding in the graphics department) my computer randomly turns off and immediately starts up again, as if it had lost power for a second. There is no blue screen, the screen simply turns black and then the computer boots up again.

Unfortunately I cannot really say when it first started (or would have started) to happen, as I first observed it when playing Battlefield One again at some point last year after I hadn't touched the game in some time. I took that as a sign that maybe there had been too much time since the last time I had cleaned out dust and proceeded to do that and afterwards things were seemingly fine again. Later that year I got the new Star Wars Battlefront II and played that happily, too, but lately the problem has started to occur with that game, too, and has since spread to other games (Far Cry 5 and, oddly enough, Empire Total War, but not some other graphically demanding games like Company of Heroes 2).

It occurs seemingly at random during gameplay, some days not at all, and so far I have been unable to pin it to anything at all. I've turned off programs running in the background, fiddled with graphics settings, used software to limit the FPS as I noticed that Battlefront II runs ridiculous frame rates during loading screens, but nothing really seemed to help or gave additional insight.

Where I live it isn't particularly hot and my attempts at monitoring heat in CPU and GPU did not turn up anything untoward, no sudden spikes or anything at all. Windows' event log just gives a Kernel-Power critical with the ID 41, which according to my web searches means that Windows doesn't know why it crashed. While I consider myself reasonably computer-literate I've never really had to do this kind of troubleshooting and I've hit the end of my wisdom, which is why I'm asking for help here.

Diagnostics:

SysnativeBSODCollectionApp => attached as zip file

Speccy => here

Memory and drives => will run those now

Attached Files

Edited by Tearsdale, 21 May 2018 - 11:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tearsdale

Tearsdale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Memory, SSD, and HDD all went through the testing procedures described without a hitch: not a single error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users