Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I damaged my graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DroidDeath

DroidDeath

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

I bought a new graphics card recently, a gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080, and foolishly assumed my power supply would be powerful enough for it without checking the voltage. Minimum requirements for this card are 500 watts while mine is 470 watts maximum. 

I thought that the issue was the PSI socket so I've slotted it in a few times now and started my PC, however it's never booted into windows, the only message that has popped up is that I'm using the wrong PSI cable.

So in short I'm wondering how likely it is that I've damaged my card? I'd also like to know if an i7-3770 CPU is a new enough version for it to run this card, although I doubt it would have much issue running it.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

"so I've slotted it in a few times"

what does that mean? did you physically modify the connector to fit? if you did you probably fried the card, they are keyed so you don't plug the wrong connectors into the wrong places.

you should have a 6+2 or 8 pin connector from your power supply that plugs into it.  6 + 2 is a 6 pin connector with a 2 pin connector the will hook together to become an 8 pin connector.

#3 DroidDeath

DroidDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

"so I've slotted it in a few times"

what does that mean? did you physically modify the connector to fit? if you did you probably fried the card, they are keyed so you don't plug the wrong connectors into the wrong places.

you should have a 6+2 or 8 pin connector from your power supply that plugs into it.  6 + 2 is a 6 pin connector with a 2 pin connector the will hook together to become an 8 pin connector.

I didn't modify anything, put I did use this adapter when the PSI cable from my PSU didn't work https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015RE48LA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 By slotting it in I mean I've connected it to the motherboard a few times.

Here are my full specs.

I don't know if this helps, but the fans still spin, whether that makes a difference as to whether I've fried the card or not I don't know.

Edited by DroidDeath, 21 May 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#4 DroidDeath

DroidDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Attached Files

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

next it would pull the video card and go to your bios settings, load factory defaults.

then install your video card and see if it will boot.

#6 DroidDeath

DroidDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

next it would pull the video card and go to your bios settings, load factory defaults.

then install your video card and see if it will boot.

I won't risk that with an underpowered PSU and the wrong connectors, I just want to know how likely it is that I've damaged the card, but I'm probably going to take it somewhere to get it tested.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

if you have used the proper adapter then it's probably not damaged.

but with the gtx 1080 card i would recommend a 750watt power supply, because the card specs says it needs a 500watt power supply, and you have to factor in the rest of the components on your computer. so a 700-750 watt supply will be the best for you.

#8 DroidDeath

DroidDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I have no idea really what motherboard I have though, but it's running an i7-3770 processor at 3.40 ghz, so I'm assuming it can handle a beefy power supply and card until I build a totally new rig.

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

your i7-3770 processor is a 3rd gen processor and will run most anything you throw at it.   only thing I would add is memory if your not at 16GB already.

your processor boosts up to 3.9Ghz.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users