Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux mint and security.. whats this about?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

I've read alot on the internet how "bad" people are calling linux mint when it comes to security updates.. lol 

how are the security updates delivered these days in linux mint.. and is it still bad? are they still focusing on stability and performance, or are they focusing these days on stability, performance, and security, other updates? ...

hope somebody can help me with this weird question  :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Yes linux mint is more stability focused however in more recent versions it has gotten more steady kernel updates in response to criticism. 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Hello FireBlazer,

This explains it all.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

Edited by The-Toolman, 21 May 2018 - 09:05 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Post#3, while the link seems right overall level 5 (atleast the way mint MATE 17.3 labelled update levels) updates can't be that dangerous, I've applied some myself and been advised to by others on this forum. If one doesn't install level 5 stuff from time to time then one can never update the kernel, and fairly bad vulnerabilities in that get discovered a few times a year. So while waiting a while makes sense, one surely must apply the higher level stuff ocassionally?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

I don't recall ever having problems installing all levels of updates in Linux Mint when I used it and if I did it was very few and far between.

I personally don't care for the update system used in Linux Mint as it does seem as though it could leave some vulnerabilities in security here and there.

Linux Mint is on the cautious side and I suppose being that way that might be what some of the reviews and such are about.

I've always installed all security updates no matter what level and as said above don't recall having any problems or if so very few.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

The purpose of the numbering system is to give people a more granular control of what updates get installed.

What levels each individual may choose is entirely up to them, and will differ dependant upon that individual's priorities. If system stability is your prime concern, then installing level 4 and 5 updates may not be the best option for you, and you can set the Update Manager to de-select them, though this may be at the expense of security.

Personally I install all 5 levels of updates, and so far I've had very few (if any) problems, however I appreciate Mint's option to give me the choice.

#7 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

So, theres nothing to worry about, the stability, and security updates are good in LM these years? 

Hmm, does somebody knows when the new version of LM will roll out?  :bananas:

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Linux mint is indeed very stable and very secure, some might argue that ubuntu is a little more secure but if you follow those arguments you also conclude ubuntu is a little less stable, that is to say ubuntu gets more updates more often although among those the security ones tend to be copied by mint fairly quickly. Linux mint is an excellent choice and will feel more natural for anyone who has come from windows beforehand. I hear rumours online that mint 19 will be released in late may or early june.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 -FireBlazer-

-FireBlazer-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

Linux mint is indeed very stable and very secure, some might argue that ubuntu is a little more secure but if you follow those arguments you also conclude ubuntu is a little less stable, that is to say ubuntu gets more updates more often although among those the security ones tend to be copied by mint fairly quickly. Linux mint is an excellent choice and will feel more natural for anyone who has come from windows beforehand. I hear rumours online that mint 19 will be released in late may or early june.

Thanks! :) 

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:32 PM

I only allow Level 3-4 because I was always told that of course are the most stable, and have not had any problems.  Though with the current environment with Spectre and Meltdown one may have to use some of these 4-5 Level Updates.  I'd always understood that Level 4-5 Updates were okay, but just a little less stable, so always stayed with Stable.  Now that I know a little more about how to recover, I would install Level 4-5 if not just to get the patches for Spectre and Meltdown.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users