Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phone has 6 cores, only 2 are being used. For power saving?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Silhorn

Silhorn

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Hello,

My phone has a Snapdragon CPU. The specs say it has 2 cpu's?

• 2x ARM Cortex A57
  • 4x ARM Cortex A53

So I used android app CPU-Z and it says 4 cores are being used, the other 2 have stopped. Is it just that the extra 2 will kick in once the phone is under heavy load?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

I don't know this for certain, but I would argue that they would activate more cores as the load heightens. It's very likely for power consumption purposes; I'd imagine the two processors load balance to consume less power. 1 CPU running at max capacity vs. 2 CPUs running half capacity probably draws far less power and outputs a, relatively similar, result. 

All speculation though, I'll likely be reading up on this tonight to verify. Haha.

Edited by C0bra, 14 June 2018 - 08:43 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 techblogger911

techblogger911

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Would you mind letting us know which device you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users