Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

April features update seems to have created a "phantom drive"?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:25 AM

Desktop: Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, version 1803.  Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5537, Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, version 1803.  Both are running Avast Premier and Malwarebytes 3 Premium, fully updated.

Night before last the April features update arrived on my laptop computer and was installed uneventfully (it had reached my desktop a couple of weeks earlier).  The laptop now has a brand new "local drive" with drive letter E: that shows up on the File Explorer screen.  The system is constantly notifying me that I am running out of space on Local Drive E: and need to do something about it.  A "Low Disk Space" warning icon is almost continuously present in the system area of the toolbar.  When I try to open Drive E: in File Explorer to see what it contains, it shows only "This folder is empty".

To try to find out what was going on here, I first ran Speccy, and then Macrium Reflect.  There are (at present) no external drives connected to either computer.

Speccy reports the hard disk partitions as follows:

Hard drive WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 Capacity 931 GB

Partition 0, FAT32, size 496 MB, used 54 MB (11%)

Partition 1, 40.0 MB

Partition 2, NTFS, size 489 MB, used 290 MB (59%)

Partition 3, C:, NTFS, size 918 GB, used 164 GB (17%)

Partition 4, E:, NTFS, size 501 MB, used 470 MB (93%)

Partition 5, NTFS, size 11.7 GB, used 11.1 GB (94%)

Macrium Reflect 7.1.3196 (UEFI) reports them as follows:

GPT Disk 1 WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 931.51 GB

1. ESP (None) FAT32 (LBA) Primary  54.8 MB used out of 500 MB

2. DIAGS (None) FAT32 (LBA) Prinary   2 KB used out of 40.0 MB

3. (None) Unformatted Primary   128.0 MB used out of 128.0

4. WINRETOOLS NTFS Primary   290.7 MB used out of 490.0 MB

5. Windows (C:) NTFS Primary   164.18 GB used out of 918.14 GB

6. (E:) NTFS Primary   470.8 MB used out of 502.8 MB

7. PBR Image (None) NTFS Primary   11.05 GB used out of 11.75 GB

The used space of the last two is shown in RED, indicating (I gather) that they are both over 90% full.

If it is relevant, the laptop had Windows 8 installed when originally purchased.  Shortly before the deadline for the free Windows 10 upgrade expired, I upgraded the laptop first to Windows 8.1, and then immediately (the next day) to Windows 10.  The desktop, purchased considerably later, had Windows 7 Professional installed when originally purchased.  I upgraded it directly to Windows 10 at about the same time as the laptop upgrade.  Both upgrade experiences were uneventful (once I had figured out how to do them) and my Windows 10 experience has since then been remarkably free of trouble.  In the context of the Meltdown/Spectre flap, I installed the software mitigations as soon as the dust settled, and the BIOS/UEFI firmware mitigations provided by Dell a few weeks after they became available.  Those upgrades were also basically uneventful.

Having started life with Windows 8, the laptop boots in UEFI mode; having started life with Windows 7, the desktop boots in Legacy (BIOS) mode, and has fewer hard drive partitions.

Can someone explain what is going on here?  It looks to my untutored eye as if a drive letter (E:) had been mistakenly assigned to the next-to-last partition, whose contents are not meant to be accessible to the ordinary daily operations of the Windows system.  A drive E: was definitely NOT there before the features update.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:24 AM

Hi,

Check the following https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-update-created-a-full-virtual-drive-can/8990ed27-afd7-45b9-a8e4-be2d40502621

The Fix is option #2 on this page:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107032-remove-drive-letter-windows-10-a.html

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Thanks a bunch, SleepyDude. My mother was getting the same Drive E: message. Now fixed.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Yes, thanks very much!

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

I also have a similar issue but tend to ignore it as i dont get any warning about it, my drive (actually listed as a D drive in my case) actually displays my efi boot partition which is by default only 500MB in size.

Of course for me this makes sense as this is where both my windows and linux boot loaders live but it is strange that before this was not visible to me but now it is.

I think version 1803 just has some sort of partition issue in general listing partitions that are not normally seen by the end user.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 TacticalLynx

TacticalLynx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Hello! I made this account because this has happened to me. 

I have the dreaded Local (G:) drive and it is constantly beeping at me, I would not have written on here if I could get rid of it. I already have unassigned the letter and it just keeps coming back

Any ideas?

#7 brunoflorindo

brunoflorindo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

If the diskpart fix isn't permanent, you can try this:

https://winaero.com/blog/hide-drive-windows-10-file-explorer/

In your case, the NoDrives value should be set to 64.

Edited by brunoflorindo, 27 May 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#8 TacticalLynx

TacticalLynx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

If the diskpart fix isn't permanent, you can try this:

https://winaero.com/blog/hide-drive-windows-10-file-explorer/

In your case, the NoDrives value should be set to 64.

You my friend are an amazing person. If I could give you a beer through a computer I would. It worked. 

THANK YOU!

#9 TacticalLynx

TacticalLynx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

LOL.. The drive is hidden. I cannot see it. I am still getting notifications. 

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

@TacticalLynx:

• Download ListParts for 32 bit systems or ListParts for 64 bit systems and save it to the Desktop
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Click Scan post the generated log Result.txt that is also saved on the same location as the tool

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#11 brunoflorindo

brunoflorindo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

LOL.. The drive is hidden. I cannot see it. I am still getting notifications. 

Open Regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD Value named NoLowDiskSpaceChecks and give it value 1. See if that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users