Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video thumbnail is extremely slow to load off of external hard drive using 3.0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

My thumbnails, especially for video files, or extremely slow to load. I have a external hard drive with a 3.0 cable. Picture thumbnails load really quickly, but video thumbnails take a pretty long time. Is this normal? My windows 10 laptop is brand new out-of-the-box.

I am unable to get my MOV files to show thumbnails. But all the other video files like a AVI and MP4 seem to show thumbnails. Whats wrong?

Edited by irvineboy, 20 May 2018 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

I notice that this slow loading of thumbnails is only with my Asus laptop running Win 10.  When I tried it with my Lenovo work laptop which is running Win 10 enterprise, the thumbnails load quickly.  Same files, same external hard drive.  Any thoughts?  

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

Is there a difference in the Anti-Virus products you're using, or how they are configured?  One thing that could cause this would be if your AV was configured to scan USB devices when connected.

#4 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

I do have Avast free antivirus AND Windows Defender on the slow loading Asus laptop. The quick loading work Lenovo laptop has McAfee Endpoint Security AND Windows Defender installed. But the Windows Defender is disabled I believe because of the McAfee Endpoint Security. I am actually not sure if the Avast free antivirus is set to scan thumb drives......not sure actually

Edited by irvineboy, 24 May 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#5 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

This response is about MOV thumbnails that completely do not work. Keep in mind all picture thumbnails work and its only video thumbnails that have problems. All MOV do not work and some AVI and MPG do not work on the Asus. I wanted to test to see if it is the video files themselves that were corrupted. So I used the Lenovo laptop to see if these MOV files thumbnails would work, and the MOV files thumbnails did work. So it's not the issue with the video file itself. The MOV files are good. It seems like some incompatibility with the Asus but no one can explain it.

So for the MOV files thumbnails that work on my Windows 10 (work laptop) BUT does not work with my new Windows 10 (home laptop), and I deleted my thumbnail cache, what can I do? I even tried to rebuild the thumbnail cache in command prompt like one of the threads suggested but that did not work. It's a brand new computer but obviously something is happening that is causing the MOV thumbnails to not work. Is it a laptop brand issue. The Lenovo is on an older version of Win 10 (ver 1607) compared to the Asus laptop Win 10 (ver 1803). Windows updates are current for both computers.

Edited by irvineboy, 24 May 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#6 irvineboy

irvineboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

I called Microsoft support and they tried updating a VGA patch from Asus but that did not work. So they went back to Windows 10 version 1703 and now almost everything works. They said version 1803 has a lot of issues. I never would have thought by rolling back would solve it. Lets hope Windows doesnt automatically update to the new version after awhile.

Question- there are still a few thumbnails that don't work. The file plays when I click on it. What does that mean? Can a file just not have the ability to display thumbnails period?

Edited by irvineboy, 25 May 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Can a file just not have the ability to display thumbnails period?

That wouldn't surprise me in the least but I have no particular knowlege or experience in this area since I view everything, as far as possible, in 'List' format with extensions enabled. As for reverting to the 1703 version, if you look around the forums here and elsewhere you will find opinions to the effect that the 1803 version is the 'buggiest' since the original release of Win 10.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users