Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 from a USB

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gadolinium

gadolinium

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

My computer, a Lenovo E460, has a hard drive which recently malfunctioned badly.  After wiping the drive and making sure it passed failure tests, I tried to install Windows 7 to it from a USB, since it doesn't have an optical drive.  However, whenever I try to set up Windows 7 on this computer I get the message "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing".  I've already tried several solutions I read online, like using Rufus to set up the flash drive, moving the flash drive from one port to another and trying to reinstall, and adding USB 3.0 driver support to the flash drive. The same error message keeps coming up, and I'm not sure what's causing it.

Is there anything else I can try to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Edited by gadolinium, 20 May 2018 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

You'll need to install the eXtendible USB 3.0 driver during the windows 7 install. Windows 7 does not natively support USB 3.0 as Windows 8/8.1 or 10 does. When you get the F6  option during the install process for Windows 7 use that to install the 3.0 driver.

Lenovo provides a driver here:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-EDGE-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-E460/downloads/DS105364

I do not know if your can extract just the driver and/or/if this driver is digitally signed (gotta be digitally signed by M$ to work) But if you can, extract and put the driver on a usb drive and when you do the F6 option point to the usb stick with the driver to install it.

If that driver does not work you can get the Intel 3.0/3.1 drivers from Frenando:

https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html

They are just the pure drivers and digitally signed to install properly

I'm not familiar with that Lenovo bios, but if it's possible enable CSM, and Legacy support. If you previously ran Windows 7 before and you did not make any changes in your bios then it should already be set to re-install 7

Edit: it's asking for a cd/dvd device driver because Windows 7 can not recognize the usb drive (even though your bios can)

Edited by Joe C, 21 May 2018 - 07:35 AM.

#3 gadolinium

gadolinium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:16 AM

Sorry for the slow response.  I got distracted by work and a different computer issue.  I've installed Windows 7 using the drivers from Intel's site and can boot into Windows 7 successfully.  Unfortunately, the computer isn't recognizing usb devices or an ethernet cable.  I attached the hard drive to another computer to get a wireless driver on, but it won't do anything after I run it besides alerting me that it wasn't installed correctly.  I'm sure the usb drives and ports work, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Edited by gadolinium, 30 May 2018 - 01:36 AM.

#4 pawanlee

pawanlee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:39 AM

There will be no problem installation from USB, It's a driver problem and may be installation not done properly

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:47 AM

Sorry for the slow response.  I got distracted by work and a different computer issue.  I've installed Windows 7 using the drivers from Intel's site and can boot into Windows 7 successfully.  Unfortunately, the computer isn't recognizing usb devices or an ethernet cable.  I attached the hard drive to another computer to get a wireless driver on, but it won't do anything after I run it besides alerting me that it wasn't installed correctly.  I'm sure the usb drives and ports work, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I take it that you did try the usb and wireless drivers from Lenovo?

#6 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:02 AM

The problem caused because the USB drive is not recognized by Windows PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment ). Windows PE is built on Windows 7 kernel and is used to prepare a computer for Windows installation. So if the USB drive is not recognized by Windows PE, you may encounter this problem and cannot install the system. 

Faulty USB settings in BIOS may also cause the problem. Windows 7 install media doesn’t have native support for USB3.0. So if your BIOS has any settings for USB3.0 support during start up, turn it to AUTO or DISABLE.

#7 gadolinium

gadolinium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Is there some way to install windows 7 with some of the basic drivers (including usb 3.0 and ethernet cable support)?  I'm trying a reinstall and am having trouble accessing intel's USB 3.0 driver during installation.  Windows asks to browse to where the driver is located on the boot files, but the folder I put the driver on the flash drive doesn't show up in the menu.  I've also tried the intel USB 3.0 creator, but flash drives modified by this run into the same problem of windows being unable to locate the usb 3.0 driver files.

Edited by gadolinium, 30 May 2018 - 03:59 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

From post#3 am I correct in saying you have installed Windows 7 to the HDD and have successfully booted? In that case you could go to the driver link JoeC provided, select your OS in the dropdown box, and download your LAN and USB 3 drivers. They can be downloaded and copied to a USB flash drive on another computer.

#9 gadolinium

gadolinium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

I tried reinstalling Windows 7 to see if the installation had failed, so  the hard drive is currently wiped.  I haven't figured out how to get the drivers where they can be recognized by the installation media, since tools like dism and the intel usb 3.0 creator have failed and the laptop doesn't recognize any usb devices unless I boot from them.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:54 PM

See this page. It gives a step by step but you may have already seen it. 

http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

#11 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:12 AM

Try putting just the 64 bit USB driver folder from the file onto a flash drive.     After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.     You should now see the USB driver files listed.     If you check the box, it should only include the compatible driver.

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:04 AM

Not having ever had to fix this issue I thought to look to see what Lenovo had to say about it - if this is the issue about your system:

When booting Microsoft Windows 7 DVD, an error will occur when the operating system looks for the DVD media.

Intel Skylake architecture is USB 3.0 based, but the Microsoft Windows 7 boot.wim and install.wim do not have Intel USB 3.0 support added.

[attachment=204874:5.jpg]

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e460/solutions/HT118249

Then it looks like Lenovo has already figured out how to slipstream the Intel USB 3.0 drivers (which looks very complicated to me) but it is their article so wouldn't it make sense to follow the advice from Lenovo?

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/SF16-D0029

I imagine that you are not the first person in the world to have this problem so there might be some other ideas in the Lenovo community.

You might find a topic/post where somebody who actually has a Lenovo system and has already figured out how to do this installation:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/English-Community/ct-p/Community-EN

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#13 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

I tried reinstalling Windows 7 to see if the installation had failed, so  the hard drive is currently wiped.  I haven't figured out how to get the drivers where they can be recognized by the installation media, since tools like dism and the intel usb 3.0 creator have failed and the laptop doesn't recognize any usb devices unless I boot from them.

This is the reason I stated that you need to use the "pure" drivers from Fernando if you can not extract just the driver from Lenovo or Intel, and they must be digitally signed in order to install too. The drivers from Intel and Lenovo are packaged in an .exe file and the Windows 7 Installer can not open those types of files. (they are designed to be installed within a working Windows7, not in a dos like mode during Windows 7 install) You only need the .inf drivers and that link I gave you provides the Microsoft signed .inf file only, so Windows 7 will be able to install that usb 3.0 .inf driver to finish your installation.

Edit: why Lenovo or Intel do not provide just the driver alone is beyond me. I guess they want to make our lives a living hell to install Windows 7. I've used this driver myself on several Skylake installs for Windows 7 and they work like a breeze

Edited by Joe C, 31 May 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#14 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

This is really no different with XP when they first came out with SATA drives, XP did not have native SATA driver support so you had to install the SATA driver during the install using the F6 option, the only difference from way back then was we used floppy disks and we actually got just the drivers to install during the o.s. set up installation

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

@JoeC, just to confirm. Installing the USB3 drivers, once extracted or by using the Fernando driver on a USB flash drive, can be done using the F6 method during install, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users