Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 PC won't boot, trying to find a fix.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mandalanakan

Mandalanakan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

I have a Windows 10 PC, that just started having problems booting. When I try to boot it, it will say,
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So I checked the BIOS to see if the boot order had somehow changed, it hadn't. It is still Hard Disk, then CD/DVD Drive

So, afterwards, I just tried to refresh the PC using my Windows 8.1 disk (The PC was upgraded to Windows 10 and was originally Win8), to see if that would do anything. Instead, it says,

"The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

And, when I try to reset the PC,

"Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing"

So from here, I would like to know if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. If you need any more info, just let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

This could indicate a bad drive or the BCD is bad. You cannot do a refresh or reset with a Windows 8.1 disk. You may be able to get the repair options by using the following method but it may not work, especially if the drive is failing.

Once you get to Troubleshoot can reset with the option to keep your files but all your programs would need to be reinstalled.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  • Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users