Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booted from recovery USB; Windows now is E: drive (Win10)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Marsh511

Marsh511

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

I saw a few other threads similar to this, but nothing exactly like what I have.  I have Win10 (on an 7 year old Samsung R540 that started with Win7).  Past 2 weeks, boot-ups have been extremely slow, and I started getting frequent BSOD (usually with DPC Watchdog Violation error), that required re-boots.  It got so bad that Win10 wouldn't load after a 4-5 minute wait for the password prompt, then my Win10 desktop would draw on-screen partially, then stall with some icons still showing the 'generic' icons (instead of the app-specific icons).  The stall would occur at different times, sometimes after I was able to click on something, sometimes before the initial screen-draw (and loading of some Apps, including Bitdefender Free) was completed.  The HD LED would stop blinking, which was my indication that nothing more was going to happen, forcing me to reboot.

After 3-4 days of multiple re-boots per use, I made a USB Win10 boot drive from a new Win10 machine, so I can get to the troubleshooting on my old Samsung.  After reading many sites, I finally got to the point of getting to the C:\ Command prompt (from Windows Advanced Options), and was surprised to find that my main 'WINDOWS' drive was now called the E: drive.  My C: drive appeared on the list, but had NO files (and something close to 60 GB of free space).  This PC has a 500 GB drive.  But since this time, I've been unable to boot up at all.  I *CAN* get to the OEM Samsung installed utility "Samsung Recovery 4" by hitting F4 on bootup, and there's a step where I can see my drive/folder trees, and from that view, my Windows stuff (and all USER and APPLICATION data, etc.) are appearing to be in the C:\ drive (not E:\ like I see when I look at the C:\ command prompt (C:\   DIR   shows nothing, but if I change to E:\ and run DIR, all my Windows stuff is on E).  At this point, I'm not even sure WHERE my system and files reside.  Currently I'm running a CHKDSK /R on the "E" drive from the Command prompt, since that's where my Windows and data seems to reside.  What the heck is going on?  I read somewhere that when booting from a recovery USB/disk, it's really operating under a different instance of the OS, and therefore, the drives are re-named.  Is this what's happening?  Is my currently running CHKDSK on the "E" drive going to give me a chance of a good bootup?

HELP would be appreciated...though I'm in the middle of what should be about a 7-8 hour CHKDSK process!  THANKS!  Oh, for good measure, I'm attaching my very first SrtTrail.txt from running 'Startup Repair' from the Win10 Advanced troubleshooting options and the disklayout.txt file, both showing E: as the Windows drive.Attached File  disklayout.txt   4.8KB   0 downloadsAttached File  SrtTrail.txt   9.11KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users