Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I still have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. Is it any good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hello Folks,

I purchased Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro back when it was a lifetime subscription. A year or two later they changed to yearly subscriptions but said they would honor the lifetime subscriptions.

It still does updates and seems to be working but, I was wondering if Malwarebytes really keeps it up to date. Is it still a good anti-malware program?

Harry

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2018 - 02:28 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

With the launch of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0, the PRO version was renamed to Premium and the company moved to a subscription licensing model, $24.95 per year.

We will continue to honor existing lifetime licenses, meaning any users that already have a lifetime license for 1.x will continue to have a lifetime license for 2.0.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0

I just asked our Product Manager and he said Malwarebytes 1.75-2.x will continue to get database updates after the June 8 date for now while we continue to migrate users over to 3.1, but like the End of Life policy states, "ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed". I do not know what date the team will decide to turn off database update for the older Malwarebytes Anti-Malware versions.

celee, Malwarebytes Administrators Post #7

What if I decide not to upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.x?
Per our new Lifecycle Policy that will go into effect on the Malwarebytes 3.x GA date, Consumer versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will reach End of Sale and End of Maintenance as of the Malwarebytes 3.x GA date. This means we will no longer sell or renew these versions, and we are not planning to release any more software updates. Technical support will be limited to supporting existing functionality as of that date. End of Life for these versions will be exactly 6 months from the Malwarebytes 3.x GA date. Users may choose not to upgrade and continue to use older versions after the End of Life date if they wish, but they do so at their own risk, since we cant guarantee that ongoing protection updates will be available.

Malwarebytes 3.x FAQs: Upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.x

If I stay on MBAM 2.2.1 how long will I continue to receive protection updates?
As stated right above and per our Home Products Lifecycle Policy after a product has reached End of Life ongoing protection updates are not guaranteed. Though MBAM 2.x and 1.x for Home Users have reached End of Life there is no firm date when we will shut off protection updates (aka definition files) and we plan to continue providing them to these legacy versions as usual for the near term. However, it is important to note that the Malwarebytes 3 engine supports newer, more efficient and more advanced detection techniques and rule syntax not available in the MBAM 2.x and 1.x engines. This means that going forward there will be certain types of rules provided for 3.x that will have no equivalent in the legacy versions. The overall protective capability of 3.x will continue to grow as we add even more 3.x-specific rules over time, causing the gap between what 3.x and 2.x/1.x detects and protects against to widen. As such, we strongly recommended that you consider upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.

I have a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware lifetime license. Will it work for Malwarebytes 3.x Premium?
Yes! Malwarebytes 3.x can simply be installed on top of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and a lifetime license will automatically apply to Malwarebytes 3.x Premium.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 harryhh

harryhh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Thank you quietman.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif