Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely erase Win 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hydrag

hydrag

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

You guys helped me a lot when I had problems with my neighbor's laptop. In the end, they decided to buy a new one and so they did....or well they bought an old one. The Laptop runs Win 7 Professional and the seller has erased all his data but left the system without a password, so he did not wipe it for them. To make sure everything is gone they want me to completely reset it and install Win 10 (if that runs). My question is if I just launch Win 10 from the installation file while there is still a Win 7 present, and it updates it or reinstalls it (whatever), is there a way stuff like tracking or logging software could be carried into the new system. Like would the seller have been able to set up something that still lies within the system files and executes some sort of malware when you do critical work like home banking?

And if so, how can I safely remove anything that may be stored on the hard drives like a complete reset?

And, if there is a way to do it, will I still be able to just launch the PC from a boot stick to setup Win 10? Because from my explanation that sounds like you'd have to delete stuff like the Bios as well and I don't know if this is possible or necessary or how this will affect the later installation. 

Any help is really appreciated, I don't want to start off an installation now and realize I should have wiped something before.

Thank you all in advance,

Greetings

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

Okay, this is how I would do it because there is word going around that Microsoft is still letting you upgrade for free.

FYI. If the computer still has a legible key on the COA sticker then you can do a clean install and activate by phone.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and run it on the Windows 7 computer. Select  Upgrade This PC Now  and let it upgrade Windows 10. After the upgrade check if Windows 10 is activated.  If it says it's activated you now have a Windows 10 digital license tied to the computer's hardware ID stored on Microsoft servers. Note: When upgrading to Windows 10 it's best to have an Ethernet connection during the upgrade if possible. If the upgrade does not get activated then you will need to purchase a Windows 10 license or do a clean install of Windows 7. One thing to note. Older computers may not be capable of running Windows 10 but the upgrade will at least let you find out if Windows 10 runs smooth or not.

Because you now have a digital license you can reinstall Windows 10 anytime. See the below BC guide on doing a complete clean install which includes wiping the drive. FYI. In the guide is shows how to make a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus and the iso the MCT allows you to download. This is the best option when creating a bootable USB flash drive.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

select-update-this-pc-now.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 May 2018 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users