Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

micro SD card not detected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnpiggy

johnpiggy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

I have HTC One A9 phone with a ScanDisk micro SD card set as internal storage. It was working fine for a long time but all of a sudden today it stopped working. The phone says that the sd card is not plugged in. I tried plugging in a different sd card and it works fine. I also tried plugging the non-working card into another phone. The card is detected but the phone says it's not compatible. What is going on? Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

You most likely have had a failure of the microSD card.   They are not dirt common, but they're not unknown to happen, either.

If the microSD card is considered non-compatible by another phone, or shows up as needing to be formatted if you use an adapter or card reader to plug it in to a PC, the card is most likely toast, as is any data that might have been on it.

This is why backups of phones are important, too, if you keep any data on them that isn't cloud based that you'd hate to lose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 johnpiggy

johnpiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

What I find strange about it is that my phone acts as if the sd card is not plugged in at all. But when I tried the card on two other phones,of the same model as mine they both detect it but says it's incompatible. I assume the incompatibility is because the card was formatted as internal storage for my phone but not the other two phones but I could be wrong about that. I couldn't plug the card into my computer because I don't have a card reader.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Depending on the capacity of the microSD card in question it is very likely to be formatted only one of two ways:  FAT32 if it is up to SDHC sized, and exFAT if it is an SDXC sized card  [I cannot remember the GB level where HC becomes XC at the moment].

Android phones don't format microSD cards as "internal storage" they format them based on the capacity of the card in one of those two filesystem formats.

I have had two microSD failures where the card was sometimes detected, sometimes not, and when it was detected by either another phone or the computer their respective error messages about the card being in need of formatting before being usable appeared.

I will be shocked if anyone can propose anything that would make that card viable again, or even readable again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users