Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Isnít this a tad slow?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Version 18.03 Os build 17134.48

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

How's it working now?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#18 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

PCPunk,

Regardless of what Version of Windows 10 the machine was on, it will always update to whatever the current version is.  It is not necessary to progress through each and every version.

The PC I'm typing on came with 1511 (I think, but I know it wasn't even up to 1607) when I got it in "out of the box" refurbished condition, and when it did it's feature update, which happened very promptly, went straight to Version 1709, which was current at the time.

With an install date of this morning I have no doubt that winver  will return Version 1803, Build 17134.

Addendum:  I somehow missed the two posts that are above this one.  The Version and Build are already confirmed to be the most up-to-date.

Edited by britechguy, 21 May 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#19 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,658 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

PCPunk,

Regardless of what Version of Windows 10 the machine was on, it will always update to whatever the current version is. 

I know, but was testing that theory, and we don't know what was downloaded to the pc before it was shut down two years ago.  I had two upgrades in two days recently as you may remember.  There may had been one ready to install upon shutdown, but how would I know?

I meant it's not been connected to the internet for nearly two years prior to going on to get Speccy this morning.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#20 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

PCPunk,

Regardless of what Version of Windows 10 the machine was on, it will always update to whatever the current version is. 

I know, but was testing that theory, and we don't know what was downloaded to the pc before it was shut down two years ago

And all I was trying to communicate is that there's nothing to test as I've seen what I described happen on multiple machines.  It makes no difference if the machine had been sitting with the first version of Windows 10 on it, if it upgrades now it will upgrade to Version 1803, and anything that's been sitting for 2 years can't have anything more recent than 1607, at most recent.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#21 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

PcPunk.... to clarify the PC had been in constant use during this time I just said it has not been connected to the outside world. Either way its running exactly as it was before 80 plus percent cpu and 120% frequency even throwing up not responding errors in file manager. Surely thats not right?
The fact that it also says its a tablet, is that just because it has touch screen

#22 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

It is not unusual for Speccy to misidentify laptops as tablets, and I suspect for precisely the reason you surmise.

You should be able to tell what's eating the CPU in either the native Task Manager by sorting on CPU or by downloading Process Monitor if you want even more details.

80% CPU usage is not unusual on a cyclic basis, but if it's constant then something's running to consume that much that shouldn't be running or maybe it should be, but has somehow gone "off the rails."

@WhatsWrongWithIt:  Might I ask what you've used the machine for?  I'm having trouble imagining, based on my own nature of usage, what one would be doing, completely without any connection to the internet, for 2 years other than use as a POS terminal that does no credit card processing directly.  

Edited by britechguy, 21 May 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#23 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:33 AM

Sorry BriTechGuy, I missed the question you asked.... I just use it to tag, process and edit my photos.  Sometimes its nice to get away from the outside world and get your head down. As an avid photographer and now you don't pay for a roll of film to be processed, I take literally thousands every week. I use this particular machine because it used to be able to deal with the vast amount of files in a folder, alas its getting old

#24 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

Look this is a really stupid question and I apologise in advance..... Windows 10, does a normal pc build have phone and sms apps on it?
I ask because mine do and in relation to you saying speccy often misidentifies maybe because of touch screen. I wonder whether this could be.... well ill Wait to see what the answer is first!!!
Id rather you publically took the Micky out of my stupidity than didnt reply if I had a choice !!!

#25 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:25 AM

Okay - despite no public micky taking and no answer someone must know

HOWEVER

Im not so sure this is a stupid question now....

I have been battling with a couple of applications that stubbornly stop displaying correctly and make themselves unusable and Ive realised that if I stop using the maximise to full screen you get a changed perspective. Instead of all the writing becoming so small its unreadable on the same background its that the whole active screen size reduces.  If I have 3 apps doing this it must be relevant so how to I prove or disprove this?

Ive added pictures as Im not sure how well I put this. All apps doing the same and I dont believe in coincidence

Attached Files

#26 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

There is nothing in any of those screen shots that looks the slightest bit out of the ordinary to me.

Standard presentation for a maximized calendar window in an office suite.  The second screen shot shows an increased number of months shown in the calendar column on the left at one time and, thus, they get smaller in size the more you try to pack into a fixed size (or limited size if not perfectly fixed) area.

#27 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

The point is to he last one IS maximised. The only way I can get Max back to shot one is to shut application down and open it again. At some point whilst using it, it drops down again.
Im not stupid Im just not very good at putting things in writing

#28 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:16 AM

OK, I get it now.

You say that this is limited to 3 applications.  Are they from the same software maker?   Are they all the most recent versions?  Do any have a creation date that predates Windows 10?

The fact that it's limited to 3 applications suggests bugs in the applications to me, but that's about as far as I can take it.

I also notice that the calendaring application is noted, in its own window frame, as a trial.  Based on that alone this could be a designed in behavior for when the trial period is over to encourage you to buy the product.

#29 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

Theyre the only 3 applications I have that are not web portal based. Its a trial version because I havent got round to putting the licence number since having to refresh my pc again. Having had to create a new user account following corrupted files that meant I couldnt get start menu to set as default. Having downloaded and run app package. After doing this on shutdown and update pc got stuck in getting things ready... this is taking longer than expected
Yes I waited, yes I know updates take a while. Not three days though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users