Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Isnít this a tad slow?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

I have Dell inspiron with 16Gb RAM and i7-5500u cpu @ 2.4GHz but when asked to copy from one place to another on the C drive it seems really slow. Currently copying 62Kbs per second, 181 photos 60% complete estimated time remaining 12 minutes for 56 Mb
I only use this laptop for photos, I dont really have a need for speed but surely this is a bit below par?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

What else is running/going on at the time?

Copy activity tends to get low priority if there are other processes running (be they system activities or user programs) that have higher priority.  If any sort of antivirus scan is running at the time that tends to slow down copies quite a bit.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Also, if the system doesn't have an SSD, a regular HDD is slow copying from one location to another, as the drive has to continually seek back and forth between the locations to read and write. Head seeks are hugely slower than just reading and writing the data.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

System processes only, I can look later

It does have SSD yes

I used to use this machine to run 4 virtual servers (SQL) and an end user device and it was super fast. Its currently feeling like a ZX Spectrum!!

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

It does have SSD yes

What brand and model?

#6 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Not sure if this will help Im not near PC at the moment but this is from order confirmation still in my email from 4 years ago so May only be helpful if youre Dell

400-ACFX 256GB Mobility Solid State Drive

If not I will look on my return

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

Looking at your drive specs it seems that it is up to par.  Have you looked to see if it is performing properly with the dell software?

Drive Interface Type SATA 6.0 Gbps

I find Windows 10 to not run as well as the Installed OS on some machines.  If you can give a little more background it would help.  Sometimes a Clean Install may fix things, but as britechguy was saying it may be just an issue of other things going on at the time.  Did you look to see if Windows Update was running, or downloading a big update?

1. Model of pc

2. What OS came with it, I would imagine Windows 7 or 8

3. You may as well run a Speccy Chart for us and post it here.  Use these DIRECTIONS

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

I second pcpunk's suggestion of checking the performance of the drive. I find references suggesting Samsung is OEM supplier for Dell's branded SSDs, but I'm not sure how to confirm that, or whether if it is so, particular Dell models may be subject to the Samsung slowdown, and need firmware updated. Certainly a Speccy report may help.

Edited by Platypus, 20 May 2018 - 11:17 PM.

#9 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:26 AM

Combined answers
Drive is listed as a LITEON LCH-256V2S-11 2.5 7mm
OS was originally Windows 8, and pro package was added before upgrade to Windows 10
I didnt look what system processes were running at the time but I can say that it wasnt updating or anything outside world related as it hasnt any connections set up.

Ill hook it up and get back to you with info requested

#10 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:21 AM

I had to restart the Pc to get it connected

Speccy report is here

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/r2ZGdPVZjXUktMxgusaK4G4

...and the thread you directed me to also asked for this, not sure if you wanted it but just in case

My PC is currently going potty (updates HAVE finished) there is nothing (user wise) open but its 80% CPU usage running at 120% maximum frequency - guess it really IS busy doing things without me

Attached Files

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 21 May 2018 - 03:31 AM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

See if it calms down after a while. After major updates, there can be compiling going on behind the scenes - this happens for example when .NET updates come through.

#12 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:18 AM

Will do but dont forget this is as it was before it was connected to the outside world.
Ill report back,

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:23 AM

If you were online for a while, an update could have come through.

#14 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

Ill give it 24 hours but I meant its not been connected to the internet for nearly two years prior to going on to get Speccy this morning. Ill leave it running and connected until everything has settled as you said

Many thanks

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 21 May 2018 - 05:39 AM.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

Haha, well what do you expect!  Windows 10 is probably more finicky about not being up and running for so long.  Now your many versions behind, and Windows is going to want to Upgrade you multiple times now, and is doing so regardless of what you are seeing.  Undoubtedly it is searching the web for it's new upgrade.  Here is what we see in Speccy, so somehow, I'm guessing overnight, you now have a new OS lol.  

Installation Date: 21/05/2018 09:39:08

Would you open a command prompt and type "winver" without the quotes and hit enter and report what version you are on now.  If somehow you are on 1709, I would change Update settings to stop the install of 1803 for just a little while.  And make sure you are all ready for the upgrade.  If you have made it to 1709 I would guess that 1803 will install also.

Your graphics look really hot, this must be a misread by Speccy.
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 M270 (Dell): 511 °C

Edited by pcpunk, 21 May 2018 - 09:44 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users