Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HDDs comparison

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ITQuest

ITQuest

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

I need to replace the hard drive of a laptop I have, and I am trying to make up my mind between a WD Black and a Seagate Firecuda, both 1 TB. In particular, the Firecuda is a hybrid drive, and I am not sure what the risk of flash memory failure would be, and how it would affect overall disk performance - but any other thoughts/comparison would also be welcome.

Should any additional information be necessary, please let me know.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Hello ITQuest,

Many folk will tell you it is purely a matter of personal preference, have used Seagate drives in the past but stick with WD Black these days, an example for your notebook here check the user reviews against the Firecuda reviews here what you read will most likely help you make a more balanced decision.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

I do not have either one of the drives you're considering, but I did upgrade my older laptop to an SSHD a few months ago.   I really see very little difference, if any, between it and a straight HDD.

Of course, that's probably largely because of my usage patterns.  If you have several files you access constantly that will fit into the SS part of the SSHD your access to same will be very much faster.  If you're like me, randomly flitting about doing all sorts of stuff at random, you're still mostly having stuff fetched from the HDD and, even if placed in the SS part, quickly rewritten out to the HDD when you're finished.

I had not given that any thought when I bought the drive, and have no regrets about doing so, but usage pattern really makes a difference in how much improvement you will, or won't, see with an SSHD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:07 PM

All You Ever Wanted To Know...Flash Memory Failures.

Louis

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,829 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

From what I have read both are advanced format drives with 512 sector emulation. I highly doubt you are putting XP on the drive but for anybody that attempts to do so they will probably run into issues.

Note While not stressed in the preceding table, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2003 R2 do not support 512e or 4Kn media. While the system may boot up and be able to operate minimally, there may be unknown scenarios of functionality issues, data loss, or sub-optimal performance. Thus, Microsoft strongly cautions against using 512e media with Windows XP or other products based on the Windows XP codebase (such as Windows Home Server 1.0, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Windows XP Embedded, Windows Small Business Server 2003, and Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/advanced-format-disk-compatibility-update

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Just a few thoughts for you from someone who spends their days fixing hard drives to recover data for people:

1. Seagate is crap.  Don't get me wrong, ten years ago I'd have gladly recommended a Seagate drive.  But today they are selling drives designed to fail and then making an extra profit selling people on their data recovery service.  Some of their recent models have had such high failure rates that they are in a class action suit.  They have far and away the highest failure rates.

2. WD isn't bad, the Black ones especially are pretty good.

3. Toshiba is better than them all, especially for laptop usage.  Toshiba is the only company who was smart enough to not store the firmware code primarily on the platters (where it's prone to bad sectors).  Largely due to this reason, Toshiba laptop drives have drastically lower failure rates than the others.  I know some people hate Toshiba hard drives, largely this is due to the fact that around 10-15 years ago they had a motor bearing lubricant issue which caused a lot of failures.  This hasn't been a problem though in any recent Toshiba drives.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,858 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:07 AM

I have to say that I agree entirely with Data Medic as far as the quality and durability of Toshiba HDDs goes, and that's both for internal and external.

I've been using an external 2TB Toshiba Canvio HDD as my external backup media for at least 5 years now, probably a bit longer, and while it hasn't been abused it has been subject to the occasional tumble from the couch to the carpeted floor or similar.  It's taken those lickings and has kept on ticking.  That's what motivated me to purchase a 3TB model just a couple of weeks ago.  I don't have enough room on the 2TB anymore to back up 5 machines, so several will now be done on the 3TB and the others will remain on the 2TB.

Also, regardless of branding on a drive, it's made by one of three manufacturers:  Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate.   See the Diagram of consolidation under the Manufacturing History section of the wikipedia page on the History of hard disk drives.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 ITQuest

ITQuest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:47 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I don't intend to install Windows XP, so that should not be an issue.

Otherwise, both from the links in the first reply (the Firecuda has about 25% negavie reviews, and the WD Black about 10-ish), and from the other posts, it would seem that Toshiba > WD > Seagate? What if I am only able to get an unpacked (for some reason) SATA 2 Toshiba disk - would it still be preferable to the others?

#9 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

I don't think you can buy a SATAII drive today, unless your getting a refurb or used drive (highly not recommended to do that)

#10 ITQuest

ITQuest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:27 AM

So, in this case, it would seem a WD Black should be about the optimal choice?

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:38 AM

Best 1TB Toshiba I could find here lower spec than the WD and no mention of any warranty period which would make me less inclined to make the purchase, see Toshiba homepage here for more in depth info.

Can I just make a suggestion, if not done already check the dimensions of the present HDD and any wiggle room there may or may not be inside of the notebook, some drives are 7mm, some 9.5mm and some of the 7mm drives will sometimes come with or will require an adaptor so that they can be used in place of a 9.5mm HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users