Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No, we didn't make any changes..."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zlarthon

zlarthon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

In various IT roles since 1976, love the technologies available these days...

In my USAF and Business travels, I have lived in California, Texas, Florida, Washington, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Idaho, New York, Tennessee, and a few places overseas.  Right now my favorite is Texas; but I'm open to sitting down over a seasonally-appropriate beverage or three and discussing it.  Maybe not in Winter in Minnesota; but

In my various support roles I discovered people lie to themselves about how their PCs get messed up, infected, and go without OS and AV upgrades.  We lie to ourselves about other things, too.  Lying is always wrong.  That doesn't mean we have to be tactless; but we should grip tightly to the truth.

Over the last two years I discovered fighting cancer is not fun; but better than the alternative.

And I've learned nearly every aspect of life is related to Project Management.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Astara

Astara

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

In my various support roles I discovered people lie to themselves about how their PCs get messed up, infected, and go without OS and AV upgrades.  We lie to ourselves about other things, too.  Lying is always wrong.  That doesn't mean we have to be tactless; but we should grip tightly to the truth.

In reponse to the above, first let me acknowlege that there are people who intentially mislead by not telling the truth (lying), but there are alot of other reasons why people may not give accurate information or answers to your questions.

The most important and 'central' reason (I say central because most other reasons boil down to tthis: -- they don't know or they don't remember what they did.  What may be painfullly obvious to you that they "must" have done, they don't even remember doing!  or if they did, they may have flashed through the option or screen so fast they didn't see what it said (and, thus, remember doing it).

First language I tried to learn (with no one else around other than a Pascal book) was trying some examples.  It was the longest time, trying to figure out why examples in the book weren't working.  I typed them in exacly as I saw them...but no go.

What I didn't realize was the importance of the semicolon in terminating a line.  I'd never seen a language with semicolons.  I thought they were book punctuation or something -- anyway the didn't REGISTER on my concious mind for the longest time I looked back and forth and they looked the same to me.  Wasn't until hours later that I noticed and decided to try the

semi-colons.  I thought "how dumb" that the need semi's can't they just see that they are at the end of line?

If you'd asked me what was different between what I did and the book, I would have said "nothing".  Was I "lying?....clueless? maybe, unable to see the pine-needles carpeting the floor under pine trees?  Yes, but lying?  Nahhhh.

People often don't see (let alone remember) the important stuff.  When put on the spot -- of course they were there, and of course they did it, so they "must know what they did"...uhhhhhh...right....NOT!

I don't think I could ever be in a court and swear to the the truth, "they whole true" and nothing but.."  I don't remember all that I remember at any single point in time.  I can't.  Those that claim they can are either 'lying', or don't realize a simple truth: that they cannot have simultaneous recall of eveything they have ever remembered.  It's impossible for a human.

I can tell someone one day, but come back on successive days and change the details because have thought about it, I remembered more details.

P.s. excuse any typos, these text boxes don't even underline misspelt words -- weird.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users