Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling the Touch Screen

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

I have a client who has a laptop that has had a defective digitizer on her touch screen and it's been that way almost since shortly after she bought it.  Since she never uses, nor intended to use the touch screen, we decided to disable it so that she could use her computer without being driven crazy by activations of the touch screen seemingly "by ghosts."  It was interesting to watch, as it looked almost like rain was hitting the touch screen and the "ripples" of each drop showed on the screen where it thought it had been touched.

When she updated to Version 1803 it reenabled the touch screen, which threw things into chaos again.

It struck me that many here might have chosen to disable their touch screens way back when and be encountering their unexpected revival after installing Version 1803.  Since I had to put together a set of step-by-step instructions for her, with screenshots, I thought I'd share those here in case anyone needs (or just wants) to disable theirs.  The screenshots have alternative text as well to describe them for anyone who's blind or low-vision and wants to know what's being presented by those screenshots.

I've run out of attachment space on BC itself, but you can download these instructions from my Google Drive by activating the following click-through link:  Disabling the Touch Screen.  The file is in MS-Word format and was created using MS-Word 2010, so it's a .docx file.

Edited by britechguy, 19 May 2018 - 01:49 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users