Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I still use XP!?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abacoian

abacoian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

I am very happy to find this forum and find that there is one for XP. 

I have two old laptops and the one that starts and works best is XP. My main need is: 1. being able to unload photos regularly from my camera. 2. Backup those photos to google photos, 3. Resize some of those photos and upload to google drive.

If I am on my home network and only use those sites and don't click any ads can I use my xp with no worries?

I greatly appreciate the help, thank you.

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

its fine.....i would just not recommend doing any online banking, or purchases

you might want to look into using linux mint as an operating system, it is very similar to XP, and the computer would likely run much faster

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,659 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

I concur with mikey11 on both counts.

Though one can still use XP I have no idea what web browsers still support XP and it will not be long, if it has not occurred already, until Google Photos will probably not work with IE8, the last version of IE on the XP platform.

It makes abundantly more sense to transition to a fully supported OS that will run on the hardware you have and certain Linux distros (distributions) certainly will.  Linux Mint is one of the most user friendly for those migrating to Linux from any Windows environment.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

I still use XP on my multiboot...with no problems accessing websites (using Firefox ESD).  IE8 is persona non grata at many webistes, in addition to having a serious liability as a secure web browser, so I don't use IE unless I want to play with various sites from a security perspective.

Time is running out on Firefox ESD compatibility for XP.

Although I agree with the warnings above re security...I have to say that I have had no problems with XP security, accessing bank accounts, and other nomral activities.  That being said, the threat is still there.  Once support for Firefox ESD disappears, I will cease to use XP for any Internet connectivity of any kind.

Info Re XP And Google Drive

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

I agree with all of the above. It sounds like you want a dedicated  machine for your photo work only and are not interested in accessing the internet on it. XP is ideal for this. And since you will not have the internet access activated you will be perfectly safe.

If, for some reason, you do want internet on it then make regular image backups to an external drive and if you get any infection, just wipe the drive and re-image and you are back in business. Macrium Reflect free is ideal for this.

[EDIT]:  sorry, I just re-read your post and you want to upload to Google Pics so you will need internet access. Ok, no problem. Get Zone Alarm (free edition) for your firewall, and Panda (free edition) for your antivirus. Do regular backups as I described above and stick to only accessing Google Pics and you will be fine.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 May 2018 - 02:33 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 abacoian

abacoian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

Thank you guys, I thing chrome browser still works on XP. I'm wondering if I install zone alarm and panda if it will slow it down too much? But as long as it works it's great. If I didn't install those what would my threats be? And is zone alarm needed if windows firewall is on?

I was looking at linux mint but a few people said my old xp machine wouldn't run it very well so I left that notion alone. Thoughts?

Thank you guys!

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,491 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

I was looking at linux mint but a few people said my old xp machine wouldn't run it very well so I left that notion alone. Thoughts?

Thank you guys!

linux mint will run better then XP, and a lot faster,

if your sticking with XP, and if your only using your computer for what you say in your original post, i wouldn't even bother using ANY antivirus software, there is no need for it.....all it will do is slow down your computer

Edited by mikey11, 19 May 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#8 abacoian

abacoian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:24 PM

Thank you Mikey! I will use xp for photos and not fret too much about it. Perhaps I will try linux mint on a thumb drive and see if it would work.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

If you have access to a public PC, such as at a library, you could upload your pictures to Google Drive at that computer from a flash drive.  Use the XP computer for non-internet use only.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users