Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only 1 out of 3 USB ports works correctly.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Hey all.

So as the title says on my Acer Aspire V5-591G only 1 of the 3 USB ports work correctly. The weird thing is that they all work in some capacity but only one works fully so I have no idea how to diagnose this issue. One port provides power but won't accept any USB devices, one ONLY accepts USB memory sticks (seriously, nothing else works.)

I've tried all the usual device manager operations, driver re-installations, etc but to no avail. Anyone have any clue what might be happening here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 531 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

What version of Windows are you running? 

Do you know if anything recently changed such as a Windows update etc? Do you know if any are version 2.0 or 3.0 and one version or the other is or is not working? Have you tried deleting all of the USB drivers in Device Manager and restarting.

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

#3 CaptainBritish

CaptainBritish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

I'm not entirely sure when they stopped functioning correctly if I'm being honest, all I know is that standard troubleshooting methods have not helped in the slightest. It's the different functionality that confuses me the most. Why does one USB port only interact with a certain format of USB stick? I guess I could understand why one would only provide power, but the other is such a specific glitch.

I'm running Windows 10. The half-functioning and fully functioning USB ports are USB 3.0 and the power only USB is 2.0.

Here is the speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/K26wbPtCqFxa7CU5Lu88KkI

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

With your USB devices installed in the usual ports please do the following.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu and select Device Manager.

Click Action and select Scan for hardware changes.  This can activate ports which have been shutdown due to inactivity.

Your USB ports starting with the Mass Storage Device Properties and on down the list have the Power Management option where you can deselect  Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  This will stop the ports from shutting down their power.

Attached File  usb port drivers.PNG   43.57KB   0 downloads

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 531 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

It looks like you are on the latest Windows update. It might be worth testing in safe mode and also by performing a clean boot as follows: let me know if any questions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Have you verified the USB drives or devices work on another computer to rule that out?

Lets try the following troubleshooting steps:

Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste each the separate commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key after each command

1. sfc /scannow (best to run 2-3 times, rebooting after each time)

(Windows 8 or higher only)
2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3. wevtutil qe System /c:20 /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SystemEventlog.txt"&wevtutil qe Application /c:20 /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\ApplicationEventlog.txt"

This will copy SystemEventlog.txt and ApplicationEventlog.txt files to your desktop.
Upload the files to your reply

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command and press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
Upload sfcdetails.txt from your desktop

#6 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

If the USB device was working before you upgraded to Windows 10, it’s unlikely to be faulty. But coincidences do occur. It’s certainly possible that your device just happened to die right at the same time that you upgraded Windows. So it’s best to rule that possibility out for sure before spending time on more complex troubleshooting.  To check if the USB device is faulty, simply unplug it (‘Eject’ it if it’s a USB storage device) and plug it into another computer. If it works, the device is fine. If it doesn’t, then you’ve isolated the problem! You just need to buy a replacement.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

The initial complaint was a problem running USB devices with some of their USB ports.  It would be nice to learn if this is a driver issue in the Universal Serial Bus controllers as these can produce the same kind of results. 

If you ran the sfc /scannow and received the message Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations there is no file corruption and you shouldn't need to run it a second time.  If there were problems which the scan couldn't resolve you can try running the scan again, but you would be better off running  the command below in the Elevated Command Prompt to repair the file corruption. 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users