Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sec25

sec25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

I would like to ask you guys if you could tell me if you know of any way to check if my brand new PC has been booted before I boot it?(I haven't touched it yet)

1. I read sth about event logger which logs boot and shutdown times, but would that work if the system/PC was somehow reset?

2. You can check the Win installation too. Does it say the date? It comes installed so would it show me the date of the first time it or the PC was booted on a PC it came pre-installed on?

3. I read sth about checking BIOS?

Basically, I;m just asking if you know the surest way there is to check if my PC had been booted.

4. If it was just turned on and the setup didn't go all the way thru, would this show in event log on(during the first ever boot)?

Edited by sec25, 19 May 2018 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Are you more concerned that your 'new' laptop isn't new or tthat it has been interfered with ?

For the first, install Speccy (a free download via BC Downloads) and run it. This will give you the install date for the OS and, under the storage heading, the power-on count. With regards to the install date you need to remember that this will be the date the OS was installed in the factory and does not reflect time in transit and storage. You laptop may have been built anywhere from three to six months before you bought it.

As for your other concern, since this is a brand new computer which you haven't even started up yet, download a copy of Win10 from MS and do a complete full install. This will also have the advantage of getting rid of all the bloatware typically pre-installed on computers. We bought my wife a new laptop just recently and that is exactly what I did on it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users