Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome "Aw Snap!" Error On Every Tab

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 VTRose

VTRose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hello! I am new to this forum and there is a Bleeping Computer store in my town, but since it's the weekend I thought I would post my issue with Chrome here to see if I get any suggestions for what to do before the store re-opens on Monday and I can call them for advice.

Picture it: May 11, 2018. I have absolutely no problems with Chrome, which is the only browser I use and have used for years. All is calm, all is bright, all is updated and I have only about four extensions that are mostly antivirus/password protection-related. I am not one to download anything I don't trust or that pings my AV or antimalware (I have Malwarebytes, Avast Premium and SuperAntiSpyware, all of which work fine and haven't given me any problems with Chrome in the past.) My computer is a HP Pavilion running Windows 8.1, 64 bit.

Fast-forward to May 12, 2018. Suddenly Chrome won't load YouTube videos as fast, then it starts presenting me with "Aw, snap!" error pages whenever I try to open a new tab. I try to reload, nothing happens. I try to open Extensions or Settings--nothing. And all my add-ons start crashing whenever I open Chrome. I don't know what to do, so I uninstall/reinstall. Same problem!

Maybe it' s memory-related, I think, so I run a diagnostic scan. No problems with memory.

Maybe there's a virus or malware that's snuck onto my system, so I run full scans of MWBAM, Avast and SuperAntiSpyware--all of which detect no threats. I even downloaded HitmanPro and did a one-time scan, only to get an all-clear from that as well. Interestingly enough, though, when I ran a Threat Scan with MWBAM yesterday, it found nine files that it dubbed malware and I quarantined/deleted them.

I finally give up, uninstall Chrome again and install Firefox from the Mozilla website. It works fine, no problems opening tabs or adding extensions. I just lost most of my bookmarks because I couldn't import them from Chrome.

BUT! Last night, after deleting the "malware" files that MWBAM found (I also ran RKill and HitmanPro again to make sure everything bad was gone) I re-installed Chrome successfully. I was still getting some "Aw, snap!" messages, though, so I turned off "Use hardware acceleration" in Settings and had no problems for the rest of the evening.

But then this morning, I went to open Chrome and the "Aw Snap!" error page was back. Extensions were crashing and I couldn't open any new tabs without seeing the same error message, not even Incognito. I am very, very disappointed and have now re-installed Firefox.

I don't really know what else to do at this point. Was there a Google or Windows update that might have been responsible for screwing Chrome up like this? Is it worth taking it in to my local Bleeping Computer people and seeing if they can figure out how to fix it?

Edited by VTRose, 19 May 2018 - 09:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users