Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing the formation of 'System Volume Information" on USB sticks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bastie

Bastie

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:28 AM

Having Googled the problem and followed the various suggestions, I STILL lack an effective method. A site that had 'microsoft' in the address line gave the following advice : "S.V.I. can and should be deleted from USB flash drives, it has no place on them. There is a way to prevent its creation that appears to have no other adverse effects.  Right click "Computer", select "Manage", double click "Services and Applications", then single click "Services". In the right pane, scroll down and find "Storage Service".  Right click, and select "Properties".  If it is running, click the "Stop" button.  Then in the dropdown labelled "Startup Type:" select "Disabled"  This will prevent the unnecessary storage service from running, since it is responsible for creating S.V.I. on USB drives." Below it was an option to say whether that was useful or not. I chose the NOT option, but when I shut it down and reopened it later, it ONLY had '7 found this useful'. I am still looking for an effective method.- can anyone help ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

Information.

For my money...these folders are not worth bothering with since they generally are very small in size when System Restore is not used..

But...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

You should not delete it, especially on USB external HDDs.  It is used for holding Restore Points and also used for indexing. The best you can do is make sure System Restore is not enabled on the flash drive.

https://www.howtogeek.com/282214/what-is-the-system-volume-information-folder-and-can-i-delete-it/

It can be deleted as Louis posted or you can delete it by booting a WinPE disk. Also a live linux disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2018 - 07:42 AM.

#4 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

Deletion is not the issue - I can delete them, but they keep forming. I want to PREVENT their appearance on USB sticks - I am NOT talking about Hard Drives.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

I don't think you prevent the folder from being created. Windows will automatically create System Volume Information on any storage device attached to the computer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users