Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive sometimes shows as uninitialized, sometimes doesn't show at all

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drj312

Drj312

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

After multiple previous issues (see here and here), now one of my hard drives is not working properly. It is a Seagate ST2000DM001, 2TB. It shows in bios. However, it sometimes does not show up at all in windows (diskpart, disk management, anything). Other times, it shows up in Windows as an uninitialized disk. When it does show there, it shows in diskpart as having 0 size. Motherboard is an Asrock Z87 Extreme4. Windows 10.

I have no idea what's going on...again.

Edited by Drj312, 18 May 2018 - 11:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:11 AM

Have you run a hard drive diagnostic on said drive?

If not, before doing so...I would move all valued files from the drive via backup.

Louis

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

This hard drive is a member of the Grenada family of Seagate hard drives.  They are so far the family with the highest failure rate in history.  The 3Tb version of your drive (model ST3000DM001) had about 40% fail in just a few years.  They're actually in a class action lawsuit over the 3Tb version.

As to your 2Tb one, those had about 60-70% the number of failures as the 3Tb ones had, but only due to the fact that they have one less platter and two less read/write heads to potentially fail.

If your drive isn't clicking yet, and still sounds to be spinning normally, a data recovery company can likely patch the firmware and extract the data quite easily still.  I can't speak for other labs, but here we charge a flat $450 for this service so long as the drive comes in before any of the heads totally fail.

But, if you push your luck and keep trying things to get the data back yourself, it's going to totally stop responding and eventually start to click when the heads die.  What's currently happening is that the drive is getting stuck in a busy state while trying (and failing) to reallocate bad sectors using spare sectors.  This function was totally botched in the firmware programming, and they never accounted for how quickly these drives would develop bad sectors.  So the more bad sectors develop, the more it gets stuck busy due to these background processes.  

Edited by DataMedic, 21 May 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#4 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

None of the diagnostic tools I've tried have been able to recognize the drive unfortunately.

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#5 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thank you for the response. I haven't heard any strange noises from the drive yet so that is positive I suppose. I am currently looking online for recovery services. Hopefully, they are cheaper than $450!

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 01:09 PM.

#6 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

Actually, we're one of the cheaper companies around.  At least in the USA.  Companies like DriveSavers or Kroll will wack you something like $1700 for this.  People are often shocked when our quote is more than a thousand dollars less than the prior company.

If you're willing to mail to India or somewhere like that, you might be able to get it done cheaper.

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#7 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Wow in that case, I will privately message you regarding locations. I am still going to look around for cheaper prices.

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2018 - 01:07 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotes - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users