Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi Fi Vanished after Windows 10 update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

I have a Lenovo A10 Desktop computer and last night came the latest Windows update which took quite a while to finish.  I turned the computer off soon afterward.  This morning I started my computer and everything seemed to be working OK until I went to empty my recycle bin and that's when it started to freeze up.  I restarted and then that's when I noticed the wi fi wasn't working.  In fact it was missing from the taskbar and the network and internet settings.  I tried a system restore but couldn't get it to work.  I checked Microsoft's website and saw others had problems after this latest update but there didn't seem to be a way to fix it yet.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Do you have the option to revert back to the previous build? This is assuming the latest Windows Update you are talking about is the Spring Update. If you already had the spring update you can remove the update that was just installed.

If it has been more than 30 days you cannot revert.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

Do you have the option to revert back to the previous build? This is assuming the latest Windows Update you are talking about is the Spring Update. If you already had the spring update you can remove the update that was just installed.

If it has been more than 30 days you cannot revert.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

John,

Unless they've done something special for Version 1803, the period in which the roll back option is available in the Recovery pane (I think, I'm past the period) is only 10 days.

The 10 day limit has been in effect for quite a while now, since Version 1607.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

John and Britechguy:  I was able to revert to the previous build but that didn't solve the problem.  Looks like whatever caused the computer to freeze up when trying to empty the recycle bin was the cause.  I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary before, just checking facebook and my emails. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Download Seatools for Windows and run the short test. If it passes run the long test. If you have critical data on the HDD that has not been backed up then back it up before doing the HDD tests.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

If you cannot run the Seatools Test because of the Computer freezing then on another computer download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have a spare USB flash drive you can use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. 

http://mirror.sysadminguide.net/ubcd/ubcd538.iso

SecureBoot needs to be disabled if enabled.

Once you boot UBCD select Parted Magic from the menu screen. On the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health. Do the short and long scans. You can use Parted Magic to copy files from the HDD to a USB external drive.

https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#6 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

JohnC_21:  I don't think it's a HD problem.  Might just be the wifi card isn't working properly. Reading back over an earlier message, you mentioned getting a usb dongle.  Will that work if the internal  wifi mini card is defective?  If so I can buy one and see if that fixes things.  Beats opening up the tower again and replacing the mini card.  If that isn't the answer I can try other things.

Edited by bostonblackie, 19 May 2018 - 02:48 PM.

#7 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

My computer just updated to the Spring Update again but still no wifi or airplane mode either.  Just ethernet listed along with the usual suspects (dial up, VPN, etc.)  Hopefully the usb dongle I ordered will work and fix the wifi problem.  It's supposed to come Monday.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

If the Wifi card is defective the USB dongle will work. Does Ethernet work? If yes then it probably is a defective Wifi card. You said that you opened the tower previously. Has the Wifi card been replaced recently? I cannot remember from your previous thread.

#9 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

Ethernet probably works but my desktop is too far away to connect it to the router.  I replaced the original wifi mini card in November 2017, about 6 months ago.. 

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Ethernet probably works but my desktop is too far away to connect it to the router.  I replaced the original wifi mini card in November 2017, about 6 months ago.. 

Are you sure the card is firmly seated?

In any case, if you don't want to open the tower to fiddle with it, and you have a spare USB port (or just get a hub) I can tell you that the WiFi dongles work spectacularly well.  My now ancient Gateway desktop in my basement, which is half a house away from the modem router upstairs, has been using a WiFi dongle as its only internet connection for years now.  It's also a micro dongle (which is the only type I've ever used with a single exception) which I strongly prefer because they don't stick out and they're much more difficult to break off via any sort of accident.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

My now ancient Gateway desktop in my basement, which is half a house away from the modem router upstairs, has been using a WiFi dongle as its only internet connection for years now.  It's also a micro dongle.....

I always recommended the nano type adapter on laptops but it's good to know they have good range. I always thought the range on the nano adapters was somewhat limited compared to the dongles with antennas.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,891 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

John,

Personally, I have never noticed even the slightest difference.

I've tried out larger adapters (but none with an external antenna) and none has been even the slightest bit better than the nano adapters, and a couple were worse.

Of course, I have not been trying to catch a signal from half a block away through multiple brick and/or steel walls/buildings.  Hence that's why I've been a complete convert to the nano adapters.

~ Mark Twain

#13 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

The USB dongle I ordered came today, inserted it into one of my usb ports, used the CD to download the drivers and presto, the wifi works!  Thanks for all your help guys!   One more thing before I go:  I have an optical mouse and lately it starts to drag a bit when moving it across the screen.  The wired mouse that came with the Lenovo works smoothly  ..  I can't remember what I did the last time it did that to stop it dragging,  I tried using the desk top and another mousepad but it still does it.  I even changed the batteries but it still doesn't move smoothly across the screen.

Edited by bostonblackie, 21 May 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Uncheck Advanced Pointer Precision and bump the speed a couple of notches toward fast and see if that helps.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/adjust-mouse-speed-windows

Glad you got your Wifi back. Which dongle did you purchase, just wondering.

#15 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

The one you suggested last November, the TP-Link Archer T2UH 600Mbps USB wireless WiFi network Adapter for pc with High Gain Dual-Band Antenna. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users