Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update last night... Today laptop not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Windowzupdate

Windowzupdate

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

Hi.. So, my lenovo Z51 was working perfectly, however last night Windows updated and today.. It's not working.

When I turn on the laptop the first error pops up just before I type in my login details.

Ctfmon.exe - sucess
Unknown hard error

I then click OK and it says

Sihost.exe - system warning
Unknown hard error

I then click OK and I can type my username and password and it takes a long time to log in. The most recent try it just continues spinning the welcome message and doesn't log in properly.

My desktop now has no icons, except the recycle bin (which it doesn't let me view) and I cant go in explorer to see my docs etc.(it takes a very long time to log in, and doesn't work every time) The WiFi isn't working, although device manager says it is enabled. I have started in safe mode via msconfig, also disabled all of the start up programs but no change. Explorer.exe isn't running in task manager so I can't exit it and restart it. I can't get into control panel either and do a system restore.
If I click on the start button or right click on the task bar, nothing happens.
I am not hugely techy but I am competent in Windows and have been fiddling around today and can't get it resolved. It's very frustrating that the windows update has done :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I use the laptop for work.. Doh

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

Can you get into the recovery options using the below procedure?

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

You can also access advanced boot options using a Windows 10 install disk created with the Media Creation Tool.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/windows-10-advanced-startup-options-menu

#3 Windowzupdate

Windowzupdate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
This worked and I was able to get into the automatic repair screen.
There were not any restore points avaliable so I will try to 'reset the pc'

#4 Windowzupdate

Windowzupdate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Hello, thank you. This worked, I reset my laptop and it is working fine now. Probably better as I did a fresh install. Thank you

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

In the future you may want to look at doing complete disk images using one of the following softwares

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All let you create bootable rescue media that allow you to restore the disk image from a USB external drive should the computer no longer boot. This would let you retain all your settings and programs. If a drive failed, you would install the new drive, boot the rescue CD or USB flash drive, and restore the image to the bare drive allowing you to be back up in minutes. All allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive so you can copy any file out of the image. Aomei and Easeus also allow file/folder backups with Easeus being the easiest to use.

#6 sammeke33

sammeke33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

I had the same issue, but resetting was not an option in the menu for me. The reason for this is that I had to reconfigure the C: drive as standard for my laptop, which apparently the update switches. Unfortunate to see I'm not the only one with this issue, Microsoft really need to get their bleep together...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users