Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Optional Spigot Firefox won't run computer freezes up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 SHGRM

SHGRM

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

I became infected with optional.spigot malware and now my computer will not run in normal mode. I have to start it in Safe Mode with networking. I have run Malwarebytes and ADWcleaner to try to clean up the infection. Both applications have found malware and deleted it, but the malware or at least the problems associated with it, keep coming back every time I turn the computer back on. I have tried system restore, which fixed the problem, but only until I turn the computer off and back on. As soon as I restarted the computer, the same problem came back. Now system restore will no longer work.

If I start Windows in normal mode, nothing I click on works. I can't open Firefox or control panel or anything. I just get the spinning wheel icon, and that goes on forever.

I have looked all through your forums and the forums at Malwarebytes. Nothing I have tried has worked. I tried using a Windows system repair disc to run Start Up Repair, but it said that there was nothing wrong.

My FRST documents are attached. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please run the Farbar program in Normal Mode with an Administrator account.
Post a fresh FRST.txt log for my review..

Attach or paste the Malwarebytes log showing the items that are coming back.

#3 SHGRM

SHGRM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:05 AM

HI,

Okay. Thanks for your help. I just ran the Farbar Program in normal mode, and the results are attached. I am also attaching copies of the logs that show the items that Malwarebytes keep finding over and over again.

Sorry to be slow to reply, but I just had surgery a few days ago, and I'm not moving very fast yet.

Thanks again. I hope you can help me. I am going nuts with this problem.

Attached Files

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,559 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

Hi

Your logs are clean.

If you are Syncing Firefox with other Devices remove it remove it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer

When done please restart the computer normally.

Run MBAM and remove any entries that are listed.

Restart the computer normally again.

Let me know if the items are gone or not.

When all is well you can re-sync your device if you wish.
<<<>>>

#5 SHGRM

SHGRM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks. Firefox is not synced to any other devices. So, maybe it will be okay now. What has been happening is, the Malwarebytes scans come up clean for a day or two, and then the malware shows up again. Maybe it's really gone this time. It's a relief to know that the logs are clean.

Thanks for your help. It was nice of you to take a look at it.

#6 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,559 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

Hi,

If all is well.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide best security practices keep safe.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet.
===

#7 SHGRM

SHGRM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

Thank you. I will read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users