Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing/reinstalling Windows Xp Os

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tamegomaith

tamegomaith

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

what is the best way, or should I say how does one go about re-installing MS XP on a PC.

I have a Dell PC about 4 years now and would like to reset the whole thing back to the way it was when I first bought it. And hopefully it will be alot quicker than it currently is.

I know this would mean I would loose everything currently installed on it and I would have to back-up all the files that I want to keep, but I don't mind this if it improves it's operation.

Pentium 4 CPU 1.8GHz, 256MB RAM, 40G Hard drive,

The HD is currently 32.7GB in use with 4.44GB free. At one stage it had about 11GB free and it was still slowish.

I know some will suggest increasing RAM or Memory but I think I would leave this to a last resort as this is a bit more trickier.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

Do you have a Dell REstore CD, a Windows XP Installation CD, or a Restore partition on your hard drive?

It depends on what you have available to reinstall Windows as to what you need to do to accomplish it.

#3 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

I have a Reinstallion CD MS windows XP home edition

Dell REstore CD, don't have this

Restore partition on your hard drive - don't really know if I have this, how can I find out if I have.

I just think if I bring the PC back to its orig state, it might be a lot smoother(Eg. have an external HD and when I turn it on PC crashes), as there has been alot of drivers/software installed/uninstalled over the years. At that stage I would then consider increasing RAM or HD.

What do you think?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

Generally the reinstallation CD is a version that MS has supplied to Dell. If this is the CD that came with the system, it's the likely one to restore the system to it's original state.

Dell also supplies other CD's (such as drivers, etc) that may be needed for this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

So, How does one go about doing it? Do I just insert the cd and take it from there...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

You boot with the cd in the cd drive.

Physically disconnect the PC from the internet connection (cable modem or whatever) and disconnect the printer, external hard drive or anything else plugged into USB ports except the mouse and the keyboard.

The only things that should remain connected are the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor.

Depending on the age of your PC you may also have PC Restore on your computer.
Look at the manual that came with the computer and if you do, follow the directions there.

or

Use the Dell Wizard for instructions about how to restore your operating system:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...p;cs=&s=gen

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 October 2006 - 07:28 PM.

#7 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hi

Thanks all. I found a good link that goes through the whole thing

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall....dexfullpage.htm

Which I plan to be doing in the coming months, but I hope to find as much out about the process as I can, before then.

You boot with the cd in the cd drive.

Physically disconnect the PC from the internet connection (cable modem or whatever) and disconnect the printer, external hard drive or anything else plugged into USB ports except the mouse and the keyboard.

The only things that should remain connected are the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor.

So, I don't need to connect to the internet to do the reinstall, thats good to know, thanks.

Depending on the age of your PC you may also have PC Restore on your computer.
Look at the manual that came with the computer and if you do, follow the directions there.

or

Use the Dell Wizard for instructions about how to restore your operating system:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...p;cs=&s=gen

Regarding the PC Restore

Is this the same as reinstalling the OS? Does it remove drivers, programs...etc? Really think I need a OS reinstall because of

general slowness
and if my PC is On and I turn on my External HD(connected via USB) sometimes this causes the PC to crash.

So I think my USB ports need to be cleaned.

Regarding Extra Hardware

I am currently thinking of adding adding an Ethernet Card (for my wireless router) to my PC. But I am wondering how will this affect the OS reinstallation:

Should I do the OS reinstall first and then add the Ethernet Card?

As far as I know the Ethernet card is just a matter of opening PC and inserting Card and then PC will power up as normal, but Should I do the OS reinstall first and then add the Ethernet Card?

I am also thinking while I am at it that I might as well add more RAM and possibly HD memory. So I am just wondering the following

What order should these be done?
Will this extra hardware fit into the existing PC?
Should I have a Plan B or is all this staraight forward?

Appreciate any feedback.tks.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:37 AM

The CD you got with the computer will restore it to exactly how it was when new and probably include the proprietary drivers and other options from Dell - so if what you want is the PC to function as it did when new that is the best way to do it.

Do not install anything else before you do this restoration.
Doesn't your computer already have an ethernet connection built onto the motherboard (which is where you would connect either a cable/dsl modem or router or a wireless device)?

The reason to disconnect it from the internet while you are doing this is because once you complete the installation and before you reestablish your security (like the firewall configured and av program installed) you do not want an open connection to the internet. You will also have to reinstall the printer and any device such as an external drive that plugs into the computer in any way including USB ports, so you do not want any of that connected until you have performed any tasks required to install them before connecting them (such as loading software, etc.)

While you are restoring the PC all that should be connected to it are the keyboard, mouse and monitor (if it is a desktop) and if it is a laptop nothing external at all should be connected.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 October 2006 - 02:40 AM.

#9 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall....dexfullpage.htm

According to the above link I have some questions and appreciate any help.

Do I turn My PC on and then insert the XP CD, and then retart it and take it from there?

Where do I select where to install XP? Will this part be automaticly displayed?

Would I be best formatting it in NTFS as opposed to FAT32? It's NTFS at the moment i think?

Once everythiong is done will I have to install the drivers for the internal HW like graphics cards, sound cards...etc?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Danged double post again (my internet connection is messed up) - Sorry! My edited post follows this one.

Edited by usasma, 26 November 2006 - 10:19 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

You'll turn your PC on with the CD in the drive - but will have to specify that the PC boots from the CD drive.

At screenshot 3 you'll choose to install XP
At screenshot 5 you'll choose where to install XP

NTFS is the best - but it's a double edged sword. It's more secure than FAT32, but it's harder to get into in case of a severe problem (because of the security).

Yes, you'll have to install the drivers for all hardware devices. Make sure that they are the latest drivers (so they'll work with SP2). I generally recommend this order:
Motherboard/Chipset drivers
Video drivers
any other devices built into the motherboard (sound, LAN, modem, etc)
any other devices plugged into the motherboard (add on cards)
any other devices plugged into the case (like printers, etc)
Antivirus, antispyware, and firewall applications

At the first point where you get internet connectivity - visit Windows Update and get all the updates. Since your system is unprotected at this time - don't leave it alone to work. Keep an eye on it for suspicious activity. Once the updates are done, disconnect (physically unplug it) from the internet until you've got your security applications installed and running.

#12 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for that.I didn't realize there would that much drivers to install, like even the mother board, but I am learning.

I presume all these drivers will be on the CD that came with the Dell PC? There is a few that say they have various drivers on them.

How long would it take from start to finish? Would I get it done in a day including all drivers?

Regarding the partition part, will that be just a case of pressing enter? As the partition is already setup? Is there any point in changing the size of the partition?

Can I install software, after reinstalling the OS, and then at a later date, like a few weeks/months, add hardware like more RAM or an ethernet card? As I think the OS reinstall might fix my problems, but of course it might not.

If your computer connects to a home network or directly using the network card, or is on a network then select "Yes", otherwise select "No".

What should I select here? I connect through an ISP using DSL.

Appreciate any answers to ALL my questions. I am just hoping for a plain sailing instalation, so tthanks again.

#13 tamegomaith

tamegomaith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

Sorry another question, but I am after coming across this link

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/54761/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp1-on-october-10-2006/

Regarding microsoft not supporting windows XP SP1. As I would be rolling back to XP SP1, I would not be able to get the updates to make it XP2.

Can anyone Confirm?

I would have thought it would keep them updates available for longer??

Thanks.

#14 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

You will get SP2 through updates. after all the other updates it wants to install. I would suggest you defrag before installing SP2 for the best outcome, I learned my lesson the hard way the first time around. this time my PC's acting like it should
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

After you get the operating system reinstalled and your firewall on, and your computer set to update from Microsoft AUTOMATICALLY - both download and install, shutdown the computer.

Connect your dsl connection (modem or router, whichever is the case), reboot and go directly to Windows Updates.
Get SP2 and whatever other updates you are missing. You may have to reboot several times between updates as you will be advised on-screen.

I also suggest that you print out that tutorial you are going to use because there will be a period of time you will not be able to access it, so have it handy.

Also make sure you have the Windows 25 digit key number for your computer. It should be on a sticker somewhere on the computer, but if for any reason it isn't, you can use Keyfinder V1.51 from magicaljellybean.com which will get it for you. Print it out and keep it for future reference, because even if you don't need it for this, you will eventually need it.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users