Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Quantum background processes issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

Hello :)

Installed the latest update to Firefox Quantum 60.0.1  64 bit without any issues described by "sikntired" in the previous post... except when using FF other programs slower to load etc..

Looking at Task manager I see :

1 Firefox entry under apps using 227MB memory, then

4 Firefox entries  @ Background processes using > 21.1 MB  , 169 MB , 289.1 MB & 8.6 MB each

All that adds up to a whopping 714.8 MB , all this using just this one page.. when I open a new tab it starts a new process.. with  2 extra pages use another 150 MB memory !!

In comparison Pale Moon has one entry using 249.8 MB ... 2 extra tabs/webpages  push it up to 438 MB

I have looked at the properties each of the 4 process details @ Background , they all say the same..: Firefox application , language neutral.. etc

Have run several different scans.. all come up clean .

All this on a Lenovo E530 laptop, Win 8.1 64 bit , all programs & Windows up to date & thankfully rare to have any issues at all.

Obviously something is amiss, would love some help sorting this.. please !

Cheers :) pcblues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

FWIW:  It's my understanding that accessing a webpage reflects varying RAM usage, according to the content of said page.  For each additional window opened with a browser, it's normal for RAM usage to increase...again, based on the webpage content.  Some webpages have more content than others.

In my review of Speccy results posted here...and my own systems...it's normal for any process to reflect RAM usage up to 300MB or so.  The nomral exceptions to this would tend to be AV or other defense programs installed.  Usage in excess of 300MB or so by an AV program/process...may indicate the program working harder to protect the system.

I think that it's pointless to concern yourself with any process reflecting less than 300MB RAM peak usage.  Many processes do not even reflect triple-digit peak RAM usage.

Louis

#3 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the response.. 

My issue is.. that I posted in detail,  when I open Firefox.. even before I open a webpage  ( that I am aware and fully expect to use more resources ) just starting Firefox I have 5 Firefox processes running using over 700 MB ram..opening 2 new tabs/webpages it obviously goes higher..just below 900 MB.........

Pale Moon  has one process running , even with 3 webpages open stays under 400 MB ...

Cyberfox much the same as Pale Moon..

I had a quick look at the Firefox forum , several people had the same issue..and from what I understand it shouldn't be happening.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

Perhaps you are closing Firefox before closing all the tabs first. Try that and also clean the browser's cache either

manually or using a program such as CCleaner that will do more than just clean your browser's cache.

You can change the default settings for how many processes Firefox can use. Click on options and under the General

tab scroll down to the Performance heading and uncheck the box next to Use Recommended Performance Settings.

Try changing to a lower number of processes. You can also disable Hardware Acceleration to see if that makes a difference.

QUOTE FROM Learn more

Content process limit: With Multiprocess Firefox, also called electrolysis or e10s , Firefox runs web content for all tabs separately from the main Firefox process for increased security and performance. Using multiple content processes can further increase performance and minimize the impact of content process crashes. You can modify this setting if multiprocess is enabled; however, having too many content processes can slow down your computer, and consequently, Firefox. The recommended maximum is four, but you can set up to seven.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

Hello Buddy..

Thanks for response ... I use CCleaner and TFC by Old Timer every few days ... having done some reading on this issue.. one of the suggestions was to adjust  dom.ipc.processCount to 1 in about:config.. which I've done, but not much change..

Also restarted with add ons disabled.. again.. ram usage went down by 20 MB.. not a lot..

Seems I will have to do some more research & reading on this .. or use a different browser...

Cheers :) pcblues

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

Give the 'new profile' approach a run......you have nothing to lose.

Use the procedure i outlined in silkntired's topic HERE  

you just never know.....as i said somewhere in that topic, when a firefox profile is corrupt in some way, the outcome can be really weird and does not follow any logic at all

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi Condobloke

Thanks for the suggestion,... Firefox has been my fav browser for so long , it will be worth the effort..

I'll do it after the weekend and report back...!

Cheers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users