Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Version of Malwarebytes Preventing Some Programs From Updating

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Just as a point of interest, since I myself encountered the issue, the newest release of Malwarebytes Premium (3.5.1) apparently may have an "overly active" anti-ransomware module, and not for the first time.  If you run into issues updating a program, and you have Malwarebytes Premium installed, turn off the anti-ransom module and select "Retry".  The program should then update successfully.

Link: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/229748-mb-3512522-prevents-some-programs-updating/

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

Since a lot of our members use the Premium version, I'm sure they appreciate the heads up.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

quietman7:

My pleasure, sir.  Proactive and knowledgeable staff, and other users here, have saved me countless hours chasing down strange issues because they proactively post about issues that they come across.

Just pulling my oar! :)

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

Not sure it's just the most recent Malwarebytes. I'm running Premium 3.4.5.2467 and for some reason I've lost the ability to install Adobe updates or even to use Adobe Reader. Malwarebytes will NOT allow me to turn off protection even temporarily. I'm on the verge of unplugging the modem, restarting with Malwarebytes turned off, and seeing if that causes any change. I would appreciate any insight into this problem, especially as regards Malwarebytes preventing Adobe applications from running. It's driving me bats here.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

Malwarebytes is at v3.5.1.2522-1.0.374...see here. You might want to try upgrading to that version first. If the problem still persists...then it
should be reported at the Malwarebytes 3.x Support Forum so the development team can investigate.

Another option is the Malwarebytes Support Tool.

#6 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, quietman, that's the version I have and the problem persists. I don't think it's Malwarebytes that's the cause, though. I can't get Adobe Reader to work more than thirty seconds and no Adobe updates will so much as load. I appreciate your advice.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:37 PM

Have you given a thought about using an alternative to Adobe Reader? I stopped using it years ago since the program became so boated and required frequent updates.

#8 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:44 PM

No more than I have given a thought to replacing my serpentine belt with two thousand rubber bands. This is not the root of the problem, which I continue to quest after. I think something's boggled NTSF just enough to cause the creeping failures I'm observing. Can't launch Flight Simulator from Steam any more, for instance.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:37 PM

Ok. I thought the issue might just be with Adobe Reader so replacing it would not solve the problem. Have your tried temporarily removing Malwarebytes to confirm it is not the cause?

#10 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

I have removed Malwarebytes entirely with no change to the function. However, I have also since run Macecraft jv16 tools and discovered consistent nonremovable errors, even run in Safe Mode. The software will not complete a scan for data from removed programs, and keeps finding old traces of BitTorrent on deeper scans, which I have removed twice now.

I suspect the problem may be in the Windows Updater; I don't use BitTorrent but Microsoft might for their 1803 update, among other things. The Updater Troubleshooter from MS shows no problem, so I suspect the Updater may have an undiscovered fault.

I still can't tie the Updater to the inability of my machine to reach the internet in Safe Mode. I have noticed, however, that when I complete a jv16 scan, and use Sysconfig to boot to Safe Mode with Networking, the computer neither acknowledges the change nor boots to Safe Mode.

Incidentally, sometimes jv16 hangs when performing a scan. Stopping the program and re-running it tends to bring up older errors, once confirmed removed. Like ripples on the surface of a stream from a pebble on the bottom, I suspect a deep fault in the way Windows 10 handles the NTFS file system and pointers is producing the results I see. But more and more it looks as if the problem is an OS bug, not a simple removable error. I could use an MS systems engineer about now.

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hi, progan01!

Maybe a Windows 10 in-place upgrade with using the Media Creation Tool, would help?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-with-windows-10/7f0b236e-3c6c-4913-9691-c4baa2a6190a

And then, you may re-install Malwarebytes.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#12 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thanks, midimusicman79, I'll give it a look-see. I have to say that I had great difficulty upgrading my homebrew box from Windows 7 to WIndows 10 originally. The direct download would not work, nor would any iteration of the Media Creation Tool. Even the version I was able to finally download refused to download Windows, let alone allow me to create an installation thumb drive or DVD.

Eventually, I was forced to buy an entirely new SSD C: drive, install Windows 7 on it, and THEN update the naked drive to Windows 10. Even then, it was a very chancy process. Though the Windows 7 disk had come with the prior HP desktop, Windows reported the serial number to be non-unique -- in short, stolen. Yet the Authentication Tool approved my usage of Windows 10 once I got online. The same thing happened with the last re-installation now two months ago. I have no idea if any of this has any bearing on what's happening with my machine at present.

But I just tried to download and use the Media Creation Tool for version 1803 and had no difficulty. I think, though, before I attempt a full reinstall, I'm going to DISM my existing system and see if there's anything out of place or missing. I have multiple deadlines, and if I do a full non-destructive reinstall I may preserve my data but I would need to reinstall all my software. That took me upwards of two weeks in April. And like I said, the problems I had then did not entirely vanish. The inability of my machine to launch in Safe Mode with networking troubles me; I can't shake the feeling that the solution to that problem would go a long way to solving the others. But we shall persevere with the new download. Thanks for you help..

---->P!

#13 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hi again, progan01!

You certainly know this already, but you can also run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to check system file integrity (please note the space between sfc and the slash).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 22 June 2018 - 10:27 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#14 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:03 PM

Oh, I know. I've done it several times already. The results always come back negative -- not a file out of place, can't say the same thing for services, but that's not sfc's purpose.

If you know of a tool that verifies services and system settings, I could use it. I would be blessed if the problems I see stem from a missed setting, easily corrected. My fear right now is not that I don't have the right files, but that the system is malordered or simply set wrong. If I can't find such errors, I'll have to conclude that the entire 1803 upgrade is suspect, and press Microsoft for corrective action -- not unlike petitioning Congress, but not as responsive. Thanks for your help.

---->P!

#15 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Hi again, progan01!

A tool that verifies services and system settings, is Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All in One), which is a free repair tool (you do not have to buy the Pro version).

Please follow these instructions on how to properly run Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All in One):

• Click the second download button from the top, download it, install it and start Tweaking Windows Repair (All in One)
  • Start your computer in Safe Mode by clicking the Reboot to Safe Mode button at the bottom
  • Whether or not you perform a Proper Power Reset as recommended by the developer is easier to do if you have a desktop computer than a laptop (you would have to remove the battery), but anyway, if you do not want to, then just skip it
  • However, it is strongly recommended to back up your Registry and/or set a System Restore point prior to running repairs, so that if anything goes awry, you can easily restore your computer to a point in time before the repairs
  • Open Registry Backup/Settings with the topmost right button with a Window, click the Settings tab, click the Open Advanced Settings button, uncheck Enable Fallback Backup Method (Enabled By Default) and uncheck Always use Fallback Backup Method Instead of Volume Shadow Copy
  • Close Advanced Settings and select the Backup Registry tab, click the Backup Now button, wait until it has finished, and click the X button to exit Registry Backup window
  • Click the Create System Restore button as well, uncheck the Automatically Do A Registry Backup button as you have already done this above, click the Open Repairs button, uncheck All Repairs, select the alternatives 23 - Repair Windows Safe Mode, 25 - Restore Important Windows Services, and 26 - Set Windows Services To Default Startup and press the Start Repairs button, wait until it has finished, exit Windows Repair (AiO) and exit Safe Mode
  • Back in Normal Mode, check if the computer works properly again

Please note that the developer of the above-mentioned tool recommends that you run it in Safe Mode, but since that does not work on your computer, you may instead run it in Normal Mode. :whistle:

However, there is a WARNING: You are not running in Windows Safe Mode. Third party programs, including your antivirus, can interfere with the repairs and break your system. :exclame:

As such, please click I understand the risks (Close this warning) and at least temporarily disable your antivirus.

Regards,

midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users