Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to shrink windows partition when Linux is on the same SSD?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 falseNegative

falseNegative

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

I have a windows partition with 80 GB free space. I want to shrink the windows partition so that I can give this free space to the Linux partition on my dualboot system. I would like to know how to proceed to do this safely without loss of data or my operating systems.

I have provided my partition table in the attachment. Thanks for your suggestions.

Attached Files

Edited by falseNegative, 17 May 2018 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

I have a similar setup to yours:  I dual boot Windows 10 and Linux.  I also partitioned my ~250GB SSD, and fortunately allocated ~66 GB to my Linux partition [+2 GB for swap].  My Windows partition is about 50% free; and my Linux partition is about 40% free.  I'm fine with those ratios, and therefore luckily do not need to resize my partitions.

I believe what you are proposing is inherently risky, and you should do a full backup [image file of entire Disk0] before proceeding.

That said, I think diskpart in DOS can do what you desire.  It is also possible to execute in Windows' Disk Management [select the partition you want to shrink and right click -> "Shrink Volume..."].  There are also commercial partition management applications that should be up to the task.

From the Linux side, it should be possible to shrink the Windows partition using GParted.  And it may actually be preferable to do so from Linux as I would think it less risky when executed from a different partition.

Are you on an EFI system with GPT disk?  This procedure may have implications for your boot.  You may need to manually edit grub and fstab to fix UUIDs...  I'm not entirely certain as I haven't attempted this myself.

Please post back if you find more / better information as I'd be interested to know for future reference.

partition%20map_zpsyckl374n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users