Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update hard drive firmware on ProLiant ML350 G6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 afishyfella

afishyfella

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Low Priority 

Last Modified: 2018-05-17
Dear Bleeping Friends,

I have a ProLiant ML350 G6 server that was put into services on 5/24/2011. Natually the warranty is out and my customer is dragging their feet on purchasing a new server. At any rate the server is rebooting nearly every morning at the same time and throwing POST errors. After some research I found that the HDDs need their firmware updated. I've lived my entire tech carrer in the Dell world and on top of that I've never had to update firmware on HDDs that are in a RAID configurations. Would someone out there be so kind as to provide me with the proceedure to update the firmware on the HDDs with out destroying the RAID configuration or loosing any data. This server belongs to a medical clinic and is very crucial to their practice. I have very little opportunity for down time so I have to have my game plan down cold. Can someone help with the steps and any management software that might help with this task? I've searched and searched but cannot find anythng that provides me step by step instructions and provides me with reassurance that I will not loose data. See below for specs. Also is there any order in which I should do updates. For example, update BIOS, RAID firmware, then HDD firmware? Have you ever seen anyone loose data doing any of these tasks?

Reason for needing upgrade is the HP Proliant Integrated Management Log Viewer is giving POST error: 1770-Slot X Drive Array -Disk Drive Firmware Update Recommended. When researched I found this.

ProLiant ML350 G6
Smart Array P410i
5 Hard drives total
2 HDDs  in 1+0 Raid
3 HDDs in RAID 5
Disk Model Number HPDG0300FARVV
Representative Serial Number PFWWX9E
Drive Type SAS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterHDD

masterHDD

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

I hardly doubt the firmware update will do any good. You will be at risk of losing the data if you decide to go through with it. Is the server still operational? You said it reboots, do you have enough time to dump the backup?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

the server is rebooting nearly every morning at the same time

It might be worth your while to look for some external event that is happening at the same time and triggering this. It seems unlikely to me that an old firmware would trigger a restart at the same time of the day every time it happens. Possibly some heavy piece of industrial equipment that is on the same supply line switching on - or off - at the same time each day. Is this server on a UPS ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users