Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these pale blue links?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

What on earth are these dratted pale blue links  which appear in Google search results using "Edge" Browser?

They merely have to be travelled over even momentarily, and the invoke a pop-up box asking what you want to do with it?

This I find alarming, especially given the context in which I've encountered them and the fact that the pop-up boxes seem to "stack" meaning that you have to click the "go away" X​ several times to clear them all.

Do they represent a horrid infection? or are they just another pesky marketing tool which we have to find a way to avoid?

Dratted_links.jpg

Edited by six-h, 17 May 2018 - 10:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Image link is failed.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

I see the image.

Dratted_links.jpg

Copied from a screen shot (if you can't see the image above) using Imgur.

KAdkReL.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

Image link is failed.

That's strange! I can see it and also click on the image to get full size view.

Here's a direct "hotlink"

http://Dratted_links.jpg

and here's a thumbnail.

http://Dratted_links.jpg

Edited by six-h, 17 May 2018 - 10:49 AM.

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Thanks buddy215, hopefully we're in the majority and others will be able to see what's bugging me! :)

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

six-h....post the search term you used for the results in that image. Others who use Edge in your part of the world can verify whether

they see the same search results or not.

Do you use an ad blocker in Edge?

If not...I suggest using Adblock Plus for Edge browser

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

I think You have just solved it for me buddy215!

This was the search term:- "best 1 year fixed rate accounts", I had to go back into my history to find it, and on examination, it seems that the search engine of choice had for some reason flipped over to Bing for that query!

Just checked my "Edge" preferences and the search engine is set to "Google"!

Strange that!

Also checked that the built in Pop-up blocker is set to "on", ...it's woefully lacking on sites that are drowning in ads like "Tech Advisor" though.

I gave up using that site some years ago but now it is just hopeless!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Ok, they all show as http:// X (image) dratted_links.jpg

I cannot find info on this..
but I'd agree with ablocker and a adware scan.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

OK boopme, thanks for trying.

I think it's solved now as for some reason "Bing" took over and muscled Google out!

It must be something that occurs on Bing.

Being paranoid, I thought I had unwittingly downloaded a virus! :)

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

That sounds a bit like a search hijacker. It would be to your benefit to scan using AdwCleaner  and Malwarebytes

if you haven't done that.

Would be interesting to see another member in your part of the world using Edge and Google while searching using

the term you posted....best 1 year fixed rate accounts.

#11 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the links buddy215, didn't use them since the first item seemed to be something called "Glasswire" which I don't know and I don't install stuff that I didn't request!

​I'm funny like that! :) I tend to think that if something is worthwhile, it won't hide behind legit downloads.

​Anyway, scanned using MBAM and no threats found.

​I see the bug is back!

​

​

​

​Noticed when viewing "Downloads", that there are 112 of the dratted "345 bytes waiting to download" which are associated with those dratted pale blue "drive by" links.

There seems to be no way of deleting them since they don't appear in the downloads folder!  Grrr! 

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

The first link....I just tested...is to AdwCleaner download. Don't know why you would see "Glasswire".

I suggest you scan with AdwCleaner. I suggest you install the ad blocker Adblock Plus for Edge browser

I suggest you block Third party cookies...also known as ad and tracking cookies.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

I suggest you look at the add-ons in Edge and remove/ delete/ disable any that you don't recognize or

are something like Search Protect or Search Advisor, etc.

#13 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

​Bloody MBAM!

​Now I can't see any of my posted links and MBAM keeps telling me that its blocked Postimage.org 'cos of spam!!

​Having just set the very same website as an exclusion!! Grrr!

​I've also set Edge to block third party cookies.

​Could that be the reason?

​

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

What image are trying to post? You can always disable Malwarebytes.

I use Imgur..... Works great!

#15 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm experiencing the same thing that boopme found earlier.

​I just can't see the images I posted earlier and every time I refresh the page, MBAM generates a pop-up saying "Web Site Blocked Because of Spam" and cites Postimage.org which is where I have my account.

I have tried to list this website as an "Exclusion" but it is not having any effect!

​I have no problems with Postimage, but it seems that MBAM does! :)

​

​Just raised the problem with MBAM Support, they've raised a ticket!

​Won't hold my breath!!

Edited by six-h, 17 May 2018 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users