Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will be completely unplugged computer for a week duration, can it mess up BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThankYouSir

ThankYouSir

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hello, I'm not good at computer stuff, and I have anxiety, so I'm worry about this.

I have to be gone for a week, go back to my hometown in China. Here in the U.S. my home have two desktop computers (one Windows 7 and one Windows 10).

Due to away for one week long (7 days), I live in a state prone to earthquake, plus we do have power outage, and when I be gone it will be in the fall, and here in the fall it does rain.
So I really think unplugged the computer is needed (unplugged the power strips from the wall).

But I heard stories about some people said where they unplugged their computer and when they come back from vacation plugged it back and the computer kist won't turn on (due to be off for one week long).
I also heard about the BIOS setting will be mess up or reset itself due to computer unplugged for one week.

What can I do to protect my computer to prevent these from happening? Has anyone go on vacation or work trip that required one week away from home and they unplugged all their computers, what happened when they come back home? Does your computer work again like normal when you plug it back in?

Thank you Sir(s) for your help.

Edited by ThankYouSir, 17 May 2018 - 09:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

But I heard stories about some people said where they unplugged their computer and when they come back from vacation plugged it back and the computer kist won't turn on (due to be off for one week long).
I also heard about the BIOS setting will be mess up or reset itself due to computer unplugged for one week.

you heard wrong.....

unplug your computer......relax.....and don't worry about it

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

I've never heard of this, but am sure it has happened at least once.  It is possible if your CMOS battery has failed, or fails during your week away, that this could happen.  The odds of your computer being damaged if left plugged in are probably much higher.  If the CMOS battery did fail you will just need to get a new one and reconfigure your BIOS, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The only thing that you could do to prevent it would be to replace the CMOS battery now and reconfigure your BIOS when you do.  Not necessary, but totally up to you.  I'm of the mind of not messing with a working machine.

Edited by Kilroy, 17 May 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:02 PM

If it is any help I am just back from 2 1/2 weeks away and both my desktop and my router were down-powered during this time. Both fired up with no problems when I turned the mains back on. The only minor problem I had was that one of my laptops had gone completely flat in this time but possibly I accidentally put it to sleep the last time I used it instead of my normal practice of shutting it down.

Because I have the good fortune to live in an area with a very stable power supply - we might get an outage once every five years - and also have a very low risk of electrical storms I almost never actually unplug equipment. The most I do is switch it off at the wall. but as Kilroy implied Murphy's Law is always alive and kicking.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:50 PM

There is little that cannot happen, but one needs to look at how reasonably probable it is to occur, not how remotely possible.

I have had machines that have been without power for periods of years, plural, that fire up just fine when plugged in again.  Thus, my impression is that it is highly unlikely that leaving a computer unplugged for an extended period of time will have any negative result.

Edited by britechguy, 17 May 2018 - 06:51 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Unplug both your pc's power strips from the wall.

Go and enjoy time with your family.

When you come back, plug them in and start them as you normally would.

if you have any problems, tell us here.

I am quite sure you will be ok and so will your computers.

Have a Good trip....and Enjoy yourself

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users