Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.NET Framework Install Root

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris8282

Chris8282

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

I've had a problem with .NET Framework ever since I updated Windows yesterday. I get certain programs:

.NET Framework Initialization Error

Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location

I have been troubleshooting this for hours.

1) I tried doing the registry edits mentioned in the error. I've attempted multiple times, following the instructions to the letter

2) I have tried running .NET Framework Cleaner, Repair, and Update

3) I tried using a Restore Point, it failed. Could not restore.

I'm not really sure what else to do. Should I just reinstall Windows?

Edited by Chris8282, 17 May 2018 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

Hello Chris8282
Before reinstalling Windows, please consider the following...
Microsoft made managing .NET Framework in Windows 10 quite easy.
1. From the taskbar search window enter the key word 'features' (without punctuation)

2. Under Best Match select Turn windows features on or off

3. From the Windows Features screen clear the boxes next to .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services...

4. Click OK and allow Windows to process the changes, upon completion, Reboot the system.

Once the system is rebooted, Repeat Steps 1 & 2 above

3. Mark the boxes next to .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services. (Note... The boxes will be filled with a colored square not a checkmark.)

4. Click OK and allow Windows to process the changes, upon completion, Reboot the system.

This should resolve the .NET Framework issues.

Old Rocker

#3 Chris8282

Chris8282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thank's for trying to help a fellow East Tennessean (Knoxville). However, the above did not solve the issue. So I 'reset' my PC (reinstalled Windows but keeping files). The problem still persists so I guess I'll have to actually reformat and hope the problem resolves itself then. Unless there are any other ideas ...

Edited by Chris8282, 18 May 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Chris8282

Chris8282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Is it possible that the two programs which are giving me problems simply are incompatible with whatever update Windows did and that that is unfixable? Anyway to determine if this is the case?

#5 Chris8282

Chris8282
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

So, I did a complete reinstall of Windows without keeping the files. The problem persisted. I ran a registry cleaner (CCleaner) and found a lot of missing Shared DLLs in the Framework folder. I look at the folder, and, sure enough, there's no DLLs there. I tried to download each missing DLL individualy but I can't find a site to download the *.TLB files. So, is there a way I can force .NET Framework to start over and reinstall everything? I've tried running the Framework Cleaner and it says 'Successful' but nothing is ever removed or changed, and I still can't reinstall .NET Framework.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users