Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lag/freeze when changing background

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobaphatt

bobaphatt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

I just built a new desktop computer (Ryzen 2700X, 16GB RAM, R580 video card).  When selecting a new desktop background, the 'Settings' window freezes and it takes 8-10 seconds before the background is applied.  I am able to do other things (browse folders, start menu, etc) during this time.  Other computers that I have Windows 10 on does not do this, even my $400 laptop.

Ideas on what may be causing this?   I am concerned this maybe affecting performance in other task.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

Where are these backgrounds stored?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 bobaphatt

bobaphatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Where are these backgrounds stored?

Its the standard photos that show up in the preview window, so I am guessing the standard "Pictures" folder.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

If they are the ones provided by MS you might want to go into your settings -> personalization and make sure they are responding to your choices of sequence and display time

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

That is interesting, what version of 10 do you have 1803?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 bobaphatt

bobaphatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

Yep, Windows 10 Pro 1803

#7 bobaphatt

bobaphatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

I just rolled back the update KB4103721 since it has caused issues with various things (all over the news sites).   I still have the lag when changing backgrounds.   Funny enough, I upgraded my laptop to the latest update to see if the issue will arise and it did not.    Its bugging the hell out of me, given this is a brand new computer with the latest hardware and something so simple causes it to freeze.   

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

I forgot that you built the machine, that may be the issue.  Maybe there is some incompatibility somewhere with graphics or something, I don't know because my building skills are nill.  I wonder if you would get more help in the system building or hardware section.

Do you see any other graphics issues?  At this point I won't be of any help.  The only thing I can think of is if you got a bad download of the OS.  Did you get the official iso?  

Won't hurt to run sfc /scannow and DISM to see if there are any integrity issues.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 May 2018 - 09:43 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 bobaphatt

bobaphatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

I forgot that you built the machine, that may be the issue.  Maybe there is some incompatibility somewhere with graphics or something, I don't know because my building skills are nill.  I wonder if you would get more help in the system building or hardware section.

Do you see any other graphics issues?  At this point I won't be of any help.  The only thing I can think of is if you got a bad download of the OS.  Did you get the official iso?  

Won't hurt to run sfc /scannow and DISM to see if there are any integrity issues.

Thanks.  I tried uninstalling graphics drivers and uninstalling Windows 10 update KB4103721, which Ive read that this update has caused various issues  Neither one made a difference.    I also tried running the sfc /verify tool, nothing came back as an issue.

Edited by bobaphatt, 21 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#10 bobaphatt

bobaphatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

UPDATE:

I ended up using Windows 10 "Reset" feature and wiped everything, started fresh.   No more lag when changing backgrounds.  I then ran the Windows Updates, tested the background, installed my system drivers, tested the background, etc.   No more issues.

Even though I ran sfc /scannow and DISM with no issues, it sounds like something was corrupt.

Hope this helps someone else in the future who does a search for this issue.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,876 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for posting back!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh