Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with xp install and hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blruskins

Blruskins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

I tried reinstalling xp several times having a lot of issues first off when I go to boot menu it said device unavailable for my cd room but if I hit retry enough times it works then for a while it would spend an eternity formatting before telling me the CD was corrupt or that the hard disk was fried. Tried taking hdd out and putting it in and now when I load installer it says boot record error. Either way I have to get a new hdd the old one is gone should that fix it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

You have a number of possible problems here with any or all of your optical drive, your installation media and your hard drive. Putting a known good hard drive in should help, but I have to say that this really sounds like you need a new computer !

You don't even need to buy a new one. I don't know where you live but there are usually a lot of ex-lease or ex-rental Win 7, possibly even 10 now, around which can give excellent value for money.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users