Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can i decrypt a folder if i lost my personal key but i have backup.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sratmit

Sratmit

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi, as you can see I have a problem with an encrypted folder. My little brother wanted me to upgrade his W8 to W10 without saving any data. Before doing it, I did a backup of the entire HDD so in case he wanted to recover some files. When I finished to install a clean Windows 10, he asked me if I could recover an important folder that was encrypted (didnt know  he knew that). The problem comes when I tried to copy the entire folder, I didnt have permission to do it cause I was using his new profile on windows 10. There is a way to recover the folder with my backup?

English is not my mother tongue so please excuse any errors on this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Is the backup in a single image file or is the folder standalone? The encrypted folder you are trying to copy is on an external hard drive? This folder was not encrypted with Bitlocker but with some kind of encryption program you can install on the Windows 10 computer, correct? When you attempted to copy the folder to the Windows 10 folder was there an error and if so what was the error?

#3 Sratmit

Sratmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

Well the backup is only all the folders he had on the old PC, the encrypted folder is on an external hard drive. About the encrypted folder I'm not if he used a program to encrypt, maybe he used bitlocker cause he told something about he tried to remove it but he coudlnt do it using propierties, and when I'm trying to copy, edit or remove any video, image or song on that folder it appears the message that I don't have access to do that. I checked inside some files in the folder and all of them appears that the user he had on the windows was the one who can edit, open.

Edited by Sratmit, 16 May 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

Just to confirm, you cannot move or copy any file from the folder on the external hard drive to the Windows 10 HDD, correct? If this is true you can take ownership of the external hard drive. Open an elevated command prompt Windows key + X, command prompt as admin

Edit: Revised takeown command to include administrator (/A)

takeown /F X:\ /A /R /D Y

Then this command

icacls X:\*.* /reset /t 

X: being the letter of the external drive.

What do you mean by losing personal key? I thought you may be referring to the Bitlocker key

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#5 Sratmit

Sratmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

Im gonna try to use that command but im sure it will take a while to finish. I dont know how he encrypted the folder so as soon as i get more info about how he did it, i will reply you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Yes, depending on the the number of files it will take awhile. Do this on the Windows 10 computer.

#7 Sratmit

Sratmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

I have a question in case this method doesn't work, if a do a partition with a new w8 and then I copy all my files from the backup to this new partition (so the user will be the same that he had), can remove the encryption of the folder?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:47 AM

You can only remove the encryption if you have the correct password and key. It also important to know how the folder was encrypted. 

You could boot a live linux disk and copy the folder to the Windows 10 computer. Linux doesn't care about Windows permissions. If the Windows 10 computer has SecureBoot enabled it must be disabled in the UEFI settings. You must also disable Fast Startup in Windows 10. After disable Fast Startup open an elevated command prompt and type:

powercfg.exe -h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

The above is needed to allow write access to the Windows 10 HDD.

Download Mint Cinnamon and burn the iso to a DVD. Boot to the desktop. Click Computer on the desktop. Attach the USB external to the computer. A USB icon will appear on the desktop and a File Manage will open showing the contents of the external drive. In the left pane of Computer you will see your HDD shown in GBs. Clicking on it will show your Windows drive.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

#9 deancollins

deancollins

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:42 AM

I'm interested the method mentioned in this thread helped you?

#10 Sratmit

Sratmit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:11 AM

Not in my case, but you should try it cause maybe I did something wrong in the process, Maybe later I will try to do it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users