Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

protected folders

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

I cannot download anything with Windows 1803.

I've been told it is b/c of protected folders being set to default so only things from the store can be installed. 

I have tried to remove the folders being protected but cannot. I am only an average user.

I wonder if you can disable the protected folders then after installing what you want, enable it again. I tried to make a flash drive with another os but can't download anything.

My question is, is my pc wrong or is this the way it is with the default settings.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

I am not sure if you mean Controlled Folder Access. You may be dealing with something different. I never heard of this problem with Windows 10.

https://wccftech.com/windows-10-controlled-folder-access-fight-ransomware/

You have 30 days to revert back to the previous version of Windows 10

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

This may be the best option until Microsoft irons out the bugs of 1803.

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:32 AM

You are on the right track. So, if you want to allow an app to enter that is blocked, do you disable this feature or do something else to allow it through. I am average so am having trouble understanding how to allow an app in that was blocked.

Do I white list it somehow?

Thank you for your help.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

I'm not a Windows 10 user but in my link is the switch on or off for Controlled Folder Access? What you are experiencing is not normal behavior for a Windows 10 install. I have never heard of somebody unable to download files unless it was malware related. When you download your files are you selecting the default download folder?

#5 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

It was my lack of knowledge that caused this issue.

I have it now.

When ransomware is enabled, as it is by default, there is a list of protected folders that require permission if Window does not want the file to be installed.

You can turn it off but that is not safe.

Better to download to desktop, for example, and IF windows does not want it but you do, you can "allow" it by clicking the allow an app.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Glad you sorted it out and thanks for the update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users