Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Randomly Powers Off Then Back On

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wwjd

wwjd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:16 AM

XP Pro..it randomly powers off then reboots, not all the time, but at least two or three times while running.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

We need more information than that to help you diagnose the cause.

First:
When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.

Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1.Right-click My Computer.
2.Select Properties.
3.In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

6.Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7.Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

Post the error message that the blue screen provides here and we will try to help you resolve the problem.

Also:
Post the message in the Event Viewer here.

How to open Event Viewer
Start Windows XP and check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver causing the problem.

To view the System Log click Start and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools. Double–click Event Viewer to open it and then System Log to view.

Post what it says here.

#3 wwjd

wwjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

TNX for the reply,

I neglected to say I have XP Pro...(an upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro)

I did as you suggested...In the event viewer..the errors for this date 10/8/06,

"The driver detected a controller error on devise\ harddisk0\D"

source = disk...category = none...event = 11...user = N/A

I also have a few on atapi...event 5

I have never seen a BSOD so I couldn't see what was causing the problem.. the machine just powers completely off then reboots.

Thanks again for your help...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

With the limited amount of information, I'd presume this was either a hard drive problem or a motherboard driver problem.

Try this free utility to check your hard drive status (use the SMART tab): http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If your hard drive checks out OK - you may want to try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers. The controller error and the ATAPI message seems to point to this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wwjd

wwjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

TNX for the reply usasma,

I ran the speed fan program and the HDD came out very good.See the info below.

Your hard disk is a WDC WD800AB-60CBA0 with firmware 03.06A03.
Your hard disk is not in the current database.
An hard disk with the same model, but with a different firmware was found:
Your hard disk is not reporting its temperature. This is normal for this hard disk model.
New hard disks are added as soon as valid statistics can be computed.
Come back soon to check your hard disk against a new database.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Since your hard disk is not in the current database, overall ratings and pictures will be based upon realistic values, but you should carefully check the results.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 200 0 Good
Spin Up Time 113 3400 Normal
Start/Stop Count 98 2261 Very good
Reallocated Sector Count 200 0 Good
Seek Error Rate 200 0 Good
Power On Hours Count 81 14060 Very good
Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Calibration Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Power Cycle Count 98 2192 Very good
Reallocated Event Count 200 0 Very good
Current Pending Sector 200 0 Very good
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 1421 Very good
Write Error Rate 200 0 Good

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 91%.
The overall performance for this drive is 91%.

What do you think?

thanks again for your time...

Edited by wwjd, 10 October 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

Your hard drive is not the problem.

Spontaneous rebooting
How to handle spontaneous reboots in Windows XP

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.

Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so perform the following steps:
1.Right-click My Computer.
2.Select Properties.
3.In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:
6.Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7.Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.

Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:27 AM

You can view BSOD and other critical errors in your Event Viewer. Here's a little "how-to": http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

Copy and paste the entire message from the event viewer in here.

It sometimes tells you what file is causing the shutdown/bsod.

#9 wwjd

wwjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

Greetings All,

Ok ...opening the event viewer and clicking on items in the left pane, I get this hugh box with a red X
that says "the event log file is corrupt"...seems like I have a problem here also?

Thanks again for your time...

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:21 AM

Open your device manager and look through the categories to see if there are any yellow or red warning icons.

If there are, try updating the drivers. If there are no updates available come back here and tell us what devices are showing the warnings.

To get to the device manager:
Go to the control panel, click on "System", then the "Hardware" tab, and press the "Device Manager" button.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

Just on a hunch, try running this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

It will not only check for malware, but it also will check your registry for problems.

#12 wwjd

wwjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:36 PM

Thank you all so much for your time and input to my problem....
It has been solved..at least for now as it hasn't powered off since I last ran safety live..
I still haven't the foggiest idea what caused it..but it now seems to be running normal again.

Many thanks Gentlemen..Blessings...

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

I'm glad that the scan seems to have helped out. I'd suspect that there was a registry problem that was fixed by the scanner (but that's just guesswork on my part).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users