Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer/Firefox drain of resources Seeking followup assistance from garioch7

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

Phil,

I don't see that as a slow response time at all, honest! 

I'll post the results from SFC when they're ready.

In the meantime, have a great weekend!  :)

Thanks,

-Steve

Edited by sbutk1, 15 June 2018 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#92 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

Well...

I just ran SFC.  It had me primed for "20 minutes to an hour"; it finished in under 6 minutes.

The result (attached) looks good to me. 

-Steve

Attached Files

#93 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

Steve:

Thank you for your posts.  That is exactly the result that I wanted to see! :thumbsup:

We don't know how slow peoples' computers are, so we always err on the side of slow because otherwise, when scan progress appears to hang, or the scan doesn't complete as quickly as the user anticipated, they abort the scan and some folks get very upset and conclude that the slow, "hung" scan is the result of malware.  If I was to ask you to run a SURT scan, you would get an explicit warning from me that it will appear to hang, and can take hours to run, particularly if it finds, and is repairing, damaged files.  I have personally witnessed that on computers brought to me for diagnosis and repair.

In the light of the favorable System File Checker scan results, you should carry on with installing your programs and data.  We know that at this point in time your Windows 7 SP1 x64 operating system considers itself healthy, which is always GREAT news! :)  There would be no point in continuing to install your programs and data if the OS was corrupted, until we got it fixed.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#94 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, Phil!

Sorry, I hadn't meant to sound at all ungrateful regarding the timescale of the SFC - just that I would've expected this 5 year-old clunker of a computer to be much closer to the higher end of that scale!

Sounds great, though; I will go ahead and install some programs once I'm back at my computer again. Like I said, nothing too involved: Firefox; Microsoft Office; my Canon 4-in-1 software; and my photo-editing program from Panasonic.

I'll continue keeping a manual log of whatever lingering "bad" behavior I notice as I resume some "more normal" usage, and I'll report in again after the weekend.

Have a good one! :)

-Steve

#95 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.  I did not mean, at all, to imply or suggest that you were ungrateful!  You made a valid comment and I thought that you deserved a reply/explanation.  You have been a most cooperative and courteous user, one of the best that I have ever dealt with in my time here as a volunteer at Bleeping Computer, so that was not my intent whatsoever.  It is my pleasure to work with you.

As for "5 year-old clunkers", well I wouldn't call my computers "clunkers" but they are "long in the tooth."  My desktop is 7.5 years old and my Dell laptop is 8.5 years old.  But computer age, while it does matter to some degree, I could have brand new computers and it would not matter to Windows 10.

As an example, every time that Windows 10 issues a new version update, in addition to all of the other havoc that is wreaked on my computers (restore points turned off and deleted, fast start turned on, etc, ad nauseum), they always replace my perfectly good 2011 Renesas USB 3.0 drivers on my Maingear Shift desktop, with new generic Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers, that revert my USB 3.0 ports to USB 2 speeds.  Since I copy my system images weekly to a WD 3.0 TB My Passport external drive from the internal backup drives, to keep a copy of my system images out of the way of ransomware, just in the very remote possibility that a new strain should somehow defeat Bitdefender 2018 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1, this Windows version update behavior is a major inconvenience.  Copy times go from 18 minutes to over an hour.  I now recently have the Renesas USB 3.0 driver install files safely stored on an external drive, so that when Microsoft blows them away, I can put them back.

I can't say enough good about the folks at Maingear (do I recall you saying you are from New Jersey? - that is where the company is located [maingear.com]).  My desktop was built by them in December 2010 for HD video editing, and they are a fantastic computer builder and they stand behind their products.  I would call them every time that a Windows 10 version update blew away my USB 3.0 drivers, and even though it was no fault of their computer, they always helped me.  Maingear specializes in high-end gaming computers, but HD and 4K video editing is even more taxing on a computer than gaming.

Steve, you will eventually have to "bite the bullet".  Windows 7 extended support (security updates) end in July 2020.  I think by then it might be time for you to purchase a new computer.  Actually, except for some of the behavior I have described, I very much like Windows 10, better than even Windows 7, and I went straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  Windows 8/8.1 never appealed to me, so I stuck with Windows 7.

Oh well, I am offline for the rest of the day.  I will be back tomorrow afternoon.  Morning is going to be busy with other chores.

Good luck with reinstalling your programs and data.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil

#96 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Phil,

With regard to Paragraph 1... Fully understood and agreed.  I'm fairly often guilty of "reading too far between the lines", particularly when it comes to written communication.  I will certainly say that working with you has been beyond pleasant, as well.  :)

As for the Windows 10 reminder... I had not given it much thought before now, but what do you think of the validity of the idea presented here?:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

No rapid response necessary; enjoy your weekend!  :)

-Steve

Edited by sbutk1, 15 June 2018 - 03:50 PM.

#97 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.  I did take advantage of the free GWX upgrade offer when it was offered for both of my computers, but I proceeded by way of a clean install on both of them.

I would say that the article is very interesting.  If Microsoft activates a Windows 10 licence on your computer, or anyone else's, without purchase, I guess that is entirely Microsoft's decision.  It is their software after all, and nothing in the article suggests that people do anything fraudulent from what I read.

Enjoy your weekend as well.

Regards,

-Phil

#98 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

Phil,

Good day to you.  I guess I'll phrase my question as diplomatically as I can, then, haha...

If you were a person in my shoes right now - and keeping in mind your earlier comment about my eventual and inevitable need to switch to Windows 10...  Would you feel comfortable taking advantage of this "unexpected opportunity" and making the switch right now

With my computer in its recently backed-up and "fresh" state - I haven't moved any old data back on yet, and only loaded those 4 programs that I'd mentioned - I'm genuinely considering pulling the trigger.  I figure this way I'll potentially avoid the cost of a conversion later on down the line when I have to make the switch.

Is there any argument that comes to your mind, as to why I shouldn't?  The only one I can think of is (as you pointed out) it's entirely possible I won't be using this particular computer any longer once July 2020 rolls around.

Particularly interested in your thoughts.  :)

Take care, and have a nice day!

-Steve

#99 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.  If it was my computer, I would go for it.  Make sure that you image your computer as it is right now and make a "recovery" CD/DVD from you backup software so that you can restore the image, if Microsoft does ask you to pay for a Windows 10 licence, and you decide that you don't want to pay.

I would recommend that you take a look at either the paid or free versions of Easeus Todo Backup Home 11.0.  It is very easy to use.  I took advantage of the more expensive free upgrades for life for the paid versions that I have for both of my computers.  That way, the backup software will always be compatible with the future versions of Windows 10.  It costs more at the beginning, but you save money in the long run.

What you do know, for certain, is that support is going to end for your Windows 7 SP1 in eighteen months, so why wouldn't you take advantage of it?  Despite my previous negative comments about Windows 10 version updates, I quite like the operating system.  It is the best Windows version, in my personal opinion.

As always, Steve, it is your decision, because it is your computer.

Have a great day.  See you tomorrow.

Regards,

-Phil

#100 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:24 PM

Phil,

I immensely appreciate your insight and your assistance.

I'll take a look at the link you've provided; and likely get myself ready to make the switch.  :bananas:

Thanks, and have a nice night! 

-Steve

#101 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:32 AM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.  Sounds like a plan! :)

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#102 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

I have to admit, even that download site itself has me a bit overwhelmed (admittedly, the fact that the author's native language is obviously not English doesn't help with regard to clarity).

...From what I understand, in preparation for doing my Windows 10 conversion, I should download the trial version of EaseUS, and that will enable me to image my hard drive as it is currently (containing just Windows 7 and those 4 applications)?  And this will provide a fall-back in case the conversion to 10 doesn't go as expected (or I change my mind) ...?

I know you must be a pro at these backups by now; but I might just need a little extra prodding, haha.

-Steve

P.S.  Happy Father's Day to you, Phil.

#103 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 11:52 AM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.

...From what I understand, in preparation for doing my Windows 10 conversion, I should download the trial version of EaseUS, and that will enable me to image my hard drive as it is currently (containing just Windows 7 and those 4 applications)?  And this will provide a fall-back in case the conversion to 10 doesn't go as expected (or I change my mind) ...?

Yes, please download Easeus Todo Backup Home 11.0.  Once you have it installed, go to Tools (bottom left column icon), and select "Create Emergency Disk."  On the next screen that appears, select "Create WinPE Emergency Disk".  Uncheck "Compatibility Mode".  Select your USB or DVD drive and start the Emergency Disk creation process.  Depending on your Internet speed, it could take about 20 minutes.

Secure your "WinPE Emergency Disk" in a safe place.

Now, what I would recommend is that you image all partitions, so that you can restore your computer completely back to the condition it was in at the time the system image was created.

The the top left icon is "Disk/Partition Backup" .  Click on that icon.  On the next screen, check the box next to "Hard Disk 0" at the top left.  This will backup all of the partitions resident on your hard drive.  In the "Plan Name" box, I usually add to the "Disk 0" description to easily identify my images and to also prevent the "Check Image" from verifying all of the system images created under a single backup plan with the same name.  So, if I was backing up my computer today, I would create a Plan Name: "Disk 0 Image 2018-06-18 14-00", assuming I launched the backup at 14:00.  Once your image is completed, please go to the box on the extreme right of the backup plan: "Advanced", click it, and select "Check Image" to ensure that Easeus Todo Backup Home 11.0 can correctly read the image files.  Personally, I have had "Check Images" fail for various reasons occasionally, so it is important to check the image.  A corrupt image can not be restored, so there is no point in having it.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  I have run literally hundreds of Easeus Todo Backup Home backup images in the last five years or so, on my computers and on the computers of clients who bring them to me for various issue, so I would say I am very familiar with the product.  In fact, when Easeus had Forums (they were discontinued about a year ago), I was one of two Moderators, both of us Canadians. :)

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#104 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Phil,

Thanks you for the detailed steps. They'll help immensely when I get back to my computer tonight/tomorrow and set this in motion.

Just one more question... How is this backup done: to the cloud or my harddrive... ? Are there any available space requirements on the latter?

Thanks,
-Steve

#105 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,624 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 03:29 AM

Steve:

Thank you for your post.  I would recommend that you back up to an external hard drive, unless you have very fast high-speed Internet service.

If you backup to your main internal hard drive, then when your hard drive dies, so does your backup.  That kind of defeats the purpose ... :)

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users