Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Vs Me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:46 AM

Ive picked up a fair amount of knowledge about pcs over the years and have become fairly confident at dealing with problems etc. The one thing I know nothing about and feels me with complete fear is the registry. Is there anywhere where I can learn alittle more about it and give me a few pointers about dealing with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:41 AM

Start here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

Oops. Forgot to look there! :thumbsup:

Thanks though. Look like it exactly what I was a :flowers: fter!

Edited by 8-bit, 08 October 2006 - 04:15 PM.

#4 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

Im still a little unclear where installed programs store their stuff. I've read a few posts where people have had problems with installed programs and they are told to remove all references of it from the registry. What part of the registry would this be?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:37 PM

The answer to that question depends on the specific program. No two programs create or alter registry keys in the same way.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

I don't think that there's anyone who completely understands the registry - but there's some pretty smart folks out there who write about it.

My favorite is "The Microsoft Windows Registry Guide" by Jerry Honeycutt
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/8762.asp

Finding entries in the registry is like doing a google search - you've gotta try a few different keywords to find all the entries. Usually the manufacturer has a key for itself, then there's another key for the program name - plus other keys for different functions that it performs.

A tip from the book above is to use a registry compare program. Then backup your registry, then make some changes. Then compare the 2 - that'll show you where those changes are stored in the registry.

Also, another nice tool is the last freeware version of Total Uninstall - it'll tell you what keys were added, modified, or deleted when installing a program. Here's the link: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:41 AM

Before you experiment with the registry it is a good idea to gave backups available in case you make changes that prove to be deleterious.

The program I recommend for this is Erunt, freeware which is configurable to make registry backups on a schedule you set and with a recovery tool included in each backup so restoring a copy if necessary is easy.

Erunt:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

#8 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

Many thanks for all your replies. I'll look into the links and bear your advice in mind. :thumbsup:

Although I have heard that XP can repair your Registry by itself and backs itself up automatically. Is this true?

Edited by 8-bit, 11 October 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

Yep, well sorta - mostly it's System Restore that does this (although there are other routines built in that will also do it).

But, as Enthusiast recommended, ERUNT is the best (IMO) backup for your registry - and it's free! It comes with a readme file that will show you how to automate the process on a daily basis. This enables you to have 7 backups (Sun to Sat) that rotate on a weekly basis.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users