Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will downloading with utorrent effect other's browsing ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 f2o1o

f2o1o

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hi.

I have ADSL internet connection with speed of 20mb, when I download movies or something, the people I live with complain about how slow the internet with them. So I have to stop downloading. Now, we are going to have Fiber connection with speed of 200mb. Will we have the same problem, or will it be so fast, it won't effect them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

With high speed broadband there should be no noticeable impact noticeable to others.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

depends, if your downloads & sharing are able to use more bandwidth.  then your still going to have the same issues.   but in utorrent in the setting you can cap your upload and download speeds so you can avoid hogging all the bandwidth set them both at about 1/2 and see if anyone complains about bandwidth then adjust accordingly.  you find a happy place that no one will complain cause they won't even notice your downloading/uploading.

i have a 150/5mb connection and have my cap set at 50d/2u and it doesn't mess with my kids gaming....  and as long as I keep sharing I don't have a problem with quota's being met.  I'm just not a power uploader because of it.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

I respectfully disagree with the above. I have a 200Mb connection and when I use uTorrent it has no effect on other users in the house (I have uTorrent set for maximum bandwidth). In fact, when I had a 60Mb connection there was no discernible degradation of speed on other systems.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

I respectfully disagree with the above. I have a 200Mb connection and when I use uTorrent it has no effect on other users in the house (I have uTorrent set for maximum bandwidth). In fact, when I had a 60Mb connection there was no discernible degradation of speed on other systems.

if I set my 150MB connection/utorrent with unlimited down/up speeds & incoming connections I can tie up the entire network and my other computers, xboxone & android tv box's will have issues.  really it depends how your using it.  sure if you only download a few files at a time then you'll never have an issue. but if your a power user and downloading/sharing files that are 50-100GB large or even a lot of different files then your gonna have issues.  

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

It surely depends on the torrents.  I mean, some torrents could be seeded by numerous rented "seedboxes" on 10 Gbit connections which should be able to saturate any home connection.

Setting a bandwidth limit on download/upload speed is supported by any decent client and is the best option if you are getting complaints from others in your house...

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users