Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 Creator Update causing system hangs and other faults

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WatDabney

WatDabney

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

So I had been dealing with this for a while now and was just trying to work around these system hangs and other issues, but now I'm just fed up and want to fix this.  Back when I updated with the Creator Update, I had tried to use microsoft support to remedy these problems and they began by telling me my computer was not compatible with Win10, even though Dell lists my computer as compatible.  They then told me I had to reinstall my operating system to fix the problems, and disable updates to avoid having the Creator Update reinstall itself.  I have no large external storage device and therefore am not willing to lose all my files if I do a full OS reinstall, so I'm looking for anything else I might try before I go down that road.  I will try to be as specific in describing the issues I'm having so bare with me.

#1.  Computer start up-  It used to take less than one minute from pressing the power button to the point where windows was up and running/usable.  Now, when I start up, I enter my password, and then it takes more than 3 or 4 minutes with only the desktop image shown (no icons, no mouse cursor).  The day before the update, it was fine, the day of the update, this problem began.

#2.  Windows Explorer Hang-ups-  When I open windows explorer from the icon on my task bar, the window opens immediately.  If I try to navigate to any other folder from there, either from the quick access bar or the icons in the main window, windows explorer hangs for around a minute.  There are no indications from the task manager that anything is happening and computer just sits at idle.  

#3.  Deleting files/folders-  Once I get to the file or folder I want to work with, I sometimes have to delete things.  If the file to be deleted is just a file (not inside a folder, just a file of any type, i.e. img, avi, doc, mov, etc.) it usually deletes right away.  However, if I have to delete an entire folder, the system opens the window showing the progress of the deleted file folder and then the system hangs for around a minutes before doing anything else.  I can work with anything else as this is hanging, so it is not a full system hang, just the delete process hangs.  Then, once it starts deleting (progress is shown in window) and if there are sub folders in the deleted folder, the delete process hangs again for about a minute.  It does this for each and every sub folder, and sometimes taking over an hour to delete a folder with less than 100MB if it has multiple sub folders.

#4.  Firefox hangs-  I know this really isn't the place to talk about a program like this, but it is relevant to the overall problems I'm having with programs hanging.  This problem does not happen with Google Chrome or I.E./Edge, only with FF.  When I open FF, the window opens and I can use the browser just fine, for about 2-4 minutes.  Then FF becomes unresponsive for around a minute (not responding message appears) and then after a minute or so it begins working again with no problems.  It only happens when I open FF and never happens again even if using FF for a long time (hours upon hours).  If I close FF before it becomes unresponsive, the task manager will continue to show 3 process running FF yet the window is no longer open.  I can open another browser window and go through the process of using it for a few minutes, it goes unresponsive, then responsive again and I can close that window and that process will end, but the 3 process from the previous FF opening are still in the task manager.  The only way to make them stop is to manually end the process in the task manager.

These problems are not critical, but they are becoming a lot more inconvenient and are slowing my work down considerably.  I have to now plan ahead when deleting files or using the FF browser and I'm getting very annoyed.  If anyone has experienced these kinds of issues and knows what I can do to remedy these problems, please let me know.  I will add that I've gone through and completely deleted FF and reinstalled, disabled all addons and extensions, and tried all the troubleshooting guides from Mozilla to no avail.  Everything still happens as I've described.  As far as the OS reinstall, I'm getting to the point where I might just bite the bullet and try a full reinstall losing all my files/programs but hoped I could find some other fix here, so this is my last chance at finding a solution.  Please let me know if you need more info and I will provide it as best I can.  Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

System specifics please. Drive size and free space, processor and RAM, etc.

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Follow the directions at this LINK

Sounds to me like your system is full of junk, hopefully it is that simple.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:53 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IzgNCaG1QTPWCkHEy5Sq7mM

#5 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

System specifics please. Drive size and free space, processor and RAM, etc.

Thanks

Yea, that might help...  was so focused on the faults, I forgot the specs.  Posted speccy above.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Have you checked for bougus programs?

Have you cleaned out Both Temp Folders?

Have you cleared Browser Data in all browsers?

Are you doing regular AV Scans?

Model of computer please?

Other than that I got nothing.  If you post the Model that will help if someone else see's a pc that they have had similar problems with.  I see problems all the time with specific computers, so if I see one like that here on the boards I'll help out, and am sure others do the same.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

Bogus programs?  None...  I am very careful with anything I download or use online and have anti malware and antivirus programs scan once a week.

Temp folders?  Yes...  when I do my scans I also clear out all temp folders and I also physically go through my file folders to look for anything that shouldn't be there.

Clean browsers?  Yes...  I have them clear all cookies/cache/history/etc. every time they close.  I am very obsessive of this and do this sometimes multiple times a day.

Regular AV scans?  Yes...  My AV software (Norton Security Suite) does background scans every 24-36 hours and I do a full scan every week. 

Model- Dell Inspiron 17R 5737

I am fairly obsessive of keeping my computer clean and optimized and am constantly doing something to clear out old files, caches, temp folders, etc.  The problems I'm having are something I've never experienced in any computer I've ever seen and the Microsoft Support people I've talked to are basically telling me it is because my hardware is not compatible with Win10 version 1709, yet Dell is confirming that this computer is compatible with the Win10 update.  When I bought this computer it had Win7 installed and at this point I am ready to just revert back to Win7, but I don't have a large enough external HD to back up all my files/folders so I'm going to lose a large portion of everything.  I'd really like to avoid that but it doesn't seem like I have much choice anymore.  Either live with these faults or lose files.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

Dell is confirming that this computer is compatible with the Win10 update.

Of course it is, it even says so at their site.  A clean install is really the best thing to do especially if this was always an Upgrade?  All my Clean Installs run pretty well, if not only one has shown some little issues, and it is an older computer than yours.

I agree it would be better to go back to Windows 7, if you can pull that off.  There's always roadblocks along the way for all these things.

Have you run "sfc /scannow" in an Admin CMD?

After that run this also:

After running "sfc /scannow" you can run this tool to fix some file system problems.  Run from an elevated Command Prompt.

"DISM Deployment Image Servicing and Management"

Run this one to see if there is corruption:
1. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
It appears to stall out, then appears to Stall Out again at 20% but let it keep going.

Run this one to Check if the Image can be repaired:
2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
CheckHealth also seems to Stall Out so just let it run.

Run this one to Repair the Image:
3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then, if wanted, you can run "sfc /scannow" again to verify.

Edited by pcpunk, 18 May 2018 - 02:20 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

It looks like your C: partition is awfully full. I would do a clean install and reformat that entire drive, that would make a world of difference.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

It looks like your C: partition is awfully full. I would do a clean install and reformat that entire drive, that would make a world of difference.

Can you please explain how this might be causing the problems I'm having?  I had upgraded to Win10 when it was first released and never had any faults with the OS (other than my personal dislikes).  It worked seamlessly and was very reliable/stable.  I only started having these faults after the 1709 update about a year ago?  (can't remember exactly when)  It was immediate after that update.  Before that, there had only ever been one other time Win10 gave me issues and that was again from an update, however that one I could remove, this one, because it is a cumulative update, I can not remove without reinstalling the OS and disabling any further updates to make sure it doesn't automatically reinstall this one again (as windows likes to force these updates anyways, I'd have to disable the update service every time I start my computer).  So I really don't understand how one partition being at 9% free is causing these issues.  There is one other partition at 27% free, and the rest are 40%, 70%, and 95% free.  Is there a way to clean that one partition only without a full reformat?  I'm trying not to lose all my files if possible and is my only cause for hesitation here, as I do not have a large enough external storage to save all my files so I will lose around 30% and I really don't want to deal with that. 

#11 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

Dell is confirming that this computer is compatible with the Win10 update.

Of course it is, it even says so at their site.  A clean install is really the best thing to do especially if this was always an Upgrade?  All my Clean Installs run pretty well, if not only one has shown some little issues, and it is an older computer than yours.

Both times I talked to Microsoft support about these issues, both techs told me that my system hardware was not compatible with Win10.  I know it is and I confirmed it with them and they still insisted it wasn't compatible.  But I digress...

I have run sfc /scannnow but will try again and then I'll try the other suggestions you mentioned.  Thank you for suggestions.  Will update with results.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Partition 4

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #4
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 5CCB8E95
Size: 8.2 GB
Used Space: 7.46 GB (91%)
Free Space: 755 MB (9%)

What is this one being used for?

Edited by pcpunk, 18 May 2018 - 06:42 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

Both times I talked to Microsoft support about these issues, both techs told me that my system hardware was not compatible with Win10.  I know it is and I confirmed it with them and they still insisted it wasn't compatible.  But I digress...

I have run sfc /scannnow but will try again and then I'll try the other suggestions you mentioned.  Thank you for suggestions.  Will update with results.

Yeah, they don't know what they are talking about lol, no, just kidding, maybe they know something we don't...I don't know.  I don't see any issues with your laptop on the net.

You don't need to run sfc again if you don't want to, just run DISM.  Just run those three commands one by one and let each one complete before moving to the next.  This may or may not help but is the first and easiest step we can take right now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Where do you see that Rocky?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 WatDabney

WatDabney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Partition 4

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #4
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 5CCB8E95
Size: 8.2 GB
Used Space: 7.46 GB (91%)
Free Space: 755 MB (9%)

What is this one being used for?

Take a look... 

Capture1.jpg is the disk management window showing the partitions.

Capture.jpg is the error message that is showing up sometimes when I close Firefox.  It has never shown any error message before, but I just reinstalled FF having deleted it and downloading a fresh copy to see if it fixed the unresponsiveness.  It has not fixed that problem and now it shows this error message about 60% of the time when I close FF.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users