Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Infected (ishost, Winlogon(?), Etc)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sabe

Sabe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:56 AM

Err hi xP I've been following this forum for a while before actually joining and posting anything but I couldn't find anything that directly helped me with my problem, it seems that I have a whole bunch of problems collected into a lovely ball on my computer. D: Anyway previously I noticed I had ishost.exe running on my computer and found it as malware and I managed to delete it a couple months ago but just recently windows' malware alert thing (I have no idea what it's actually called) alerted me and then ishost.exe came back and this time with what I think is another program related to it called ismini.exe. Also I tried scanning with Ad-Aware but every time after maybe five minutes of running my computer automatically restarts after finding a "critical" file and I believe it has something to do with winlogon.exe (I checked it in the folder but I'm not sure if the logo is supposed to be a window with a moon and star in it o_O) because I have gotten alerts about before. Uhm that's all that I can describe for now, I do have hijackthis and I will be posting a log in the correct forum later on, I just thought I'd post here beforehand. Thanks to any and all who help me. ^^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:15 AM

Hello Sabe

Seems you have some files on your system that are related to smitfraud infections. I checked and saw that you have not posted a hijackthis log yet or lets try this first if your using Win XP or 2000:

Print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Please download, install and update AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
Print out the AVG Anti-Spyware Install-Scan Instructions.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.

Go here and follow the instructions for using SmitfraudFix. You will have to extract the zip file to you Desktop.
(Click here for information on how to do this if not sure. Win 9x/2000 users click here. If you need an unzipping utility, download 7zip (its free).

After using the tool as instructed, reboot again in "SAFE MODE" and double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Then scan with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 per the instructions you printed out and reboot normally.

Edited by quietman7, 08 October 2006 - 07:18 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sabe

Sabe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

Thank you but I've got a new problem now and hopefully someone can help me again:

I cleaned out all the smitfraud infections and spyware that was found on the anti-spyware program and everything was all good and well but just two days ago my computer restarted itself and whenever it starts up again I come to the safe mode/last good config etc menu every time. Whenever I start in safe mode, last good config, or normally it starts up with the window logo and bar like normal but then it flashes a blue screen for a split second then it restarts again. I'd like to fix this without having to loose all that I already have on my computer if at all possible.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users