Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Windows 10 update - now no access to the computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whytheheck1

whytheheck1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

Yesterday I allowed Windows to install the latest update.  This morning, I turned the computer on and tried to log in.  I received the message "incorrect password".  I have only ever used one password on the computer.

I noticed that there were two logos under the password box. Apparently they are part of the recent update.  One by one, I chose each logo and entered the password.  I received an error message each time.

Eventually I got a message that my password was incorrect, and to make sure that I entered the password for my "Microsoft" account. Further, it said that if I didn't remember the Microsoft account password I could reset the password from the lock screen.

As part of the next screen, they gave me the email address name to an account that they had me set up, in Gmail, when I bought the computer, a couple of years ago.  Apparently that is the password for the Microsoft account. Or not.

I looked up my Microsoft account password, and tried to use it.  Same error message.  Same message to use my "Microsoft" password.

So I tried resetting my password.  I got to the lock screen.  I entered the "secret" data, and they gave me the next screen, which was supposed to contain a code, and unlock the account.  I have not yet received the code.  I ran the lock screen procedure again.  Same result.  It's been half an hour now.

I need help.  It is possible that with time, someone will correct the login program, but in the meantime, I would like to use the computer that won't let me past the login screen, and asks me to enter a password that I  don't use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Did you try resetting from the reset web page?

https://account.live.com/password/reset

If you have access to another computer then download Lazesoft Password Recovery and install it on another computer. Create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings if enabled. Boot the DVD or USB and reset/unblock the hidden Administrator Account. Create a new admin user account using the Administrator Account. Once this new admin user account is created login to it and open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X. command prompt as admin. It could be called powershell. Type the following command to hide the Administrator account again.

net user administrator /active:no

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

Now you have the Microsoft Account and also a local admin account you can log into without a problem.

#3 whytheheck1

whytheheck1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Thank you.

I have access to another computer, so ultimately I will be able to do what you recommend.

While I digest this information, I have a question, If I create a bootable disk, using a computer that runs Microsoft XP, will it be usable, in trying to gain access to the presently inaccessible one that runs Windows 10? 

I also have a laptop, but it runs Windows 8.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

It may but you will need to download some additional files. When you launch Lazesoft it will ask what the OS will be in the target computer and you can select your Windows 10 version in the dropdown box. You may be better running Lazesoft off the Windows 8 computer as you will likely not need to download many files.

#5 whytheheck1

whytheheck1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users