Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can an ADSL modem support more than 16 mbps?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

In a couple months I will sign an internet service. The speed is 35 mbps and they say "if you have a modem that only supports ADSL you will only get ADSL speeds" which is I assume 16 mbps?

However, when I was looking at ADSL modems, they seemed cheaper than VDSL modems AND they supported up to 300 mbps. How is that possible if ADSL only supports up to only 16?

img8961n_1.jpg

So the real question is this. If I buy this, will I be able to get to 35 mbps? Because it says it's up to 300 but the ISP says if I have ADSL modem it'll only get me ADSL speeds.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

If you sign with an ISP, they should supply you with a capable router/modem according to the plan you sign with!

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 frusciante54

frusciante54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

If you sign with an ISP, they should supply you with a capable router/modem according to the plan you sign with!

They do, for an extra charge of course. They give a VDSL modem for an average price but I was looking at ADSL modems because they are cheaper

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

Not addressing your topic question, just a thought:

Our own ISP offered their own as well, with a nominal monthly fee. I purchased one instead, but since upgrading to their 100 Mbps, I will have to upgrade that now as well to take full advantage of the speed.

Your ISP may (as ours does) have a page at their website that suggests capable router/modems for customer's own purchase compatible with speed.

If so, and yours charges monthly, then some math of purchase price and charges over your projected time frame that you'll be utilizing their connection will help in cost comparisons, easing the sting.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

ADSL2+ (offered in some countries) supports up to 24 mbps download speed.  300 mbps is referring to the maximum theoretical speed of the WiFi connection on that particular router, not the internet connection speed.  That is the maximum speed at which devices can connect wirelessly with the router, and communicate with each other on the local network.  It's important to note that theoretical maximum speeds are never achieved in real world use, and WiFi performance is strongly influenced by conditions and the distance from the router of the devices.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users