Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Diagnosing Your Computer'....Forever

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

MSI laptop Win 10

No issues over last 3 years. Boot up today and MSI splash screen just hangs.

Shut down and restarted. It went to Repair/'Diagnosing your computer' where it's been for the last 90 minutes or so.

Tried F8 but still went to diagnosing. Remembered that with MSI F2 is the key to access Safe Mode and other tools.

But, again, no response. Just went to Diagnosing Your Computer.

How long might this run or is it likely just hanging?

As a novice I was wondering if there was a novice-friendly way (maybe via flash drive) to boot to my desktop to:

1) recover files   and/or

2) fix any issues that might be causing this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HarryBaker

HarryBaker

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hi mate,

did you try F2 whilst booting or whilst it was sitting on the "Diagnosing your computer" screen? It is potentially running a repair on your hard drive which could take some time if it is a large HDD inside in the machine.

You will only be able to boot into Safe Mode during boot itself and not whilst the machine is in the "diagnosing your pc" state. It could be worth hard rebooting the machine (Holding the power or removing the battery) but this may also cause further issues.

If you can be patient enough I would leave the machine for as long as you can without needing to use it and see whether or not the issue resolves itself.

If you are more impatient then you can try a hard reboot and see whether or not you can get back into the normal OS and if not try booting into Safe Mode.

It all depends on how patient you are and whether you have any data on the machine that you are worried about losing.

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I did a hard reboot and tried F2 when it went to diagnosing.

Will heed your advice and let the diagnosis run for a while.

Ed:Should the repair not work could I boot into my desktop with a flash drive?

Thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 15 May 2018 - 12:23 PM.

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

So, it turns out F3 was the key to access MSI options.

When I selected repair, a screen appeared "repairing disk errors - this may take over an hour"

As this is a work laptop I let it run overnight. Came in this morning and repair was STILL  running.

Any USB repair options?  Should I try to Refresh?

Thanks

#5 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

Running blind here.

Made boot flash drive with EaseUS Partition Master to try MBR fix.  It gave error. Couldn't do anything to MBR.

Using PM to check for bad sectors. 70% done and no bad ones.

Any advice?

Thanks

edit: As a novice  i was wondering, if the above resolves nothing, whether there was a way I could make an image of my other MSI laptop and just plop it on the the problem laptop?

Edited by chiiibill, 17 May 2018 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users