Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Firefox 60.0 (64 bit)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

I recently installed Quantum Firefox 60.0 (64bit) and am experiencing a few problems.

The websites seem to be "jumpy" at times. At times the back-button does not work properly and I have to click on it several times to get it to work.

It seems that this version is not a fluid as previous versions such as Firefox 59.0.3?.

I tend to think it may be due to the settings I have chosen in the "Privacy&Security" section of options.

The current settings are as follows: In History, I have  "Firefox will "Use Custom Settings". I have also ticked "Remember my browsing and download history" as well as "Remember search and form history".

In Cookies and Site Data these are the current settings: "Accept cookies and site data from websites (recommended)

Keep cookies (until they expire)

Accept third party cookies and site data (Never)

I've looked at everything else and it appears to be okay.

What have I overlooked ?

BTW I do have Adblock Plus and HTTPS Everywhere installed.

Edited by sikntired, 15 May 2018 - 07:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Similar to this ?

Screenshot_2018-05-15_20-59-18.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

You don't, by any chance, have uBlock Origin installed as well as Adblock Plus, do you?  (Or any two or more ad blockers, for that matter).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Could be one of your add-ons causing a bit of a problem. You can test that by using

Firefox with add-ons disabled. Click on Help > Restart with add-ons disabled

If Firefox behaves without add-ons then you can add back one add-on at a time to discover the one causing the problem.

I suspect HTTPS Everywhere....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

Similar to this ?

Screenshot_2018-05-15_20-59-18.png

Yes, but with options changed with the drop down option.

You don't, by any chance, have uBlock Origin installed as well as Adblock Plus, do you?  (Or any two or more ad blockers, for that matter).

No, I have only one Adblock Plus

Could be one of your add-ons causing a bit of a problem. You can test that by using

Firefox with add-ons disabled. Click on Help > Restart with add-ons disabled

If Firefox behaves without add-ons then you can add back one add-on at a time to discover the one causing the problem.

I suspect HTTPS Everywhere....

I kind of had that in mind as well. I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks to all for your response!!

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Well, the removal of HTTPS Everywhere does not have a significant impact. I still have to click the back-button at least twice rapidly. Also on some sites (MSN) I have to refresh the page to keep ads from appearing. These problems do not exist when utilizing IE11.

Don't know what to try next. I've even refreshed Firefox to no avail.

TIA for any other suggestions.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:17 PM

EDIT: Do you have CCleaner installed?

If you refreshed Firefox and haven't gone through its settings again you should do that.

You can click on Adblock Plus and choose Options where you can block more ads, tracking, etc.

Below are two images of my settings. The first image is under the General Tab and the Second is under the Advanced tab.

Note that I unchecked the box next to Allow acceptable ads.

KEDU1BP.png

Y5Y0jCI.png

Edited by buddy215, 15 May 2018 - 01:43 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

Thanks buddy215 for your assistance. In answer to your question about CCleaner........No I do not have it installed.

Yes to when I refreshed Firefox, I did go through settings again,

I did as you suggested by clicking ABP icon and using the General tab and the Advanced tab to mirror what you have.

Will see how it goes. Thank you once again, it is appreciated.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

You're welcome...

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I only use Firefox and have since Firefox was in Beta....before Firefox 1.0

60 works great for me. I am using it on 64bit Linux distro and Windows 7.

I really can't think of anything that would cause you to have to multi click on the go back arrow/ button. Maybe someone else can.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

make a new profile.....your current profile is probably corrupt.

A corrupt profile will cause weird, illogical things to happen.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

("creating a profile" is the one I have used )

Just a late thought....have you uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox ?.....also i dont understand why you chose "custom settings"....it probably makes no difference to your problem but I just wondered why.....I believe my settings are the same as yours, but I did not need to choose 'custom settings'

Edited by Condobloke, 15 May 2018 - 08:46 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

make a new profile.....your current profile is probably corrupt.

A corrupt profile will cause weird, illogical things to happen.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

("creating a profile" is the one I have used )

Just a late thought....have you uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox ?.....also i dont understand why you chose "custom settings"....it probably makes no difference to your problem but I just wondered why.....I believe my settings are the same as yours, but I did not need to choose 'custom settings'

Thanks Condobloke for your suggestion. I have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox. That was one of the first things I tried. Also, I changed "custom settings" back to "remember history". I will take a look at "creating a profile"..................thank you for that!

FWIW it seems that MSN website is the site where I experience the most problems, such as multi-clicking the back-button, slow to load and jumpy.

Oh BTW it seems that Adblock Plus is not doing its job. I ran SUPERAntispyware after clearing temp files with TFC and it found 200 cookies.

Kinda' getting frustrated with Firefox as I would really like to get a handle on this.

Just had a thought. When you uninstall and re-install Firefox does that return everything to default including "profile"?

Edited by sikntired, 16 May 2018 - 07:26 AM.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

I used to use adblock plus.....saw one of the guys here giving ublock origin a good rap....so tried it...it was also ok....to tell the truth I found the lot of them all a bit ho hum...

Then I discovered Malwarebytes Browser extension

Works like a charm...as you would expect from Malwarebytes.

Stops Malware/Scams/Ads/Clickbait in their tracks.

SO all i run now is Malwarebytes browser Extension.

Simple and it works

Wjhen you reinstall etc ....it returns Firefox to using your default profile. So...if there is any corruption present there....it will still be corrupted after the reinstall.

Setting up a new profile is actually easy.The hardest part is the time consumed in adding any ad ons you may have. (establishing a new profile wipes all add ons. You start off with a completely fresh slate.

(make a written list of your add ons....or take a screenshot of the add ons page....helps remember them after you have established a new profile.)

There is always the chance that this could be a stuff up in firefox....in which case version 60.1 wont be far away.

Personally I would opt for a fresh profile. Gets rid of the guesswork.  Below is my profile page. (menu/help/troubleshooting information/About:profiles (at bottom of blue block on left hand side of page)

profile.png

Just above Profile: default etc etc....it says 'Create a New profile'

Click on that...read the blurb....then 'Next'....you will then see.....

prof.png

Give it a name...doesnt matter what you call it....just so you can differentiate it from the original/default....

Then click on 'Finish'

Thats it. Wipe the sweat from your brow. Mine is shown below.

pr3.png

The profile just above this line of type is the new one created. I can click to 'Set as default profile'....which is what you will need to do......Then launch that profile and see how forefox runs. Add your add ons one at a time....and recheck after adding each one.

If it doesnt solve the problem....just click back into about:profiles, and click to remove it or you can always just leave it there. it will do no harm.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:22 AM

Condobloke, thank you for the detailed explanation on "create profile". I will certainly give it a go. I did not realize that Malwarebytes had a browser extension, I will try it.

Your interest in helping is appreciated, thanks again.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

Just as an aside, Adblock Plus, Ublock Origin, etc., do not block most cookies nor should you wish them to.  Virtually every website you visit uses cookies for perfectly legitimate purposes and their use can save you a lot of time if you revisit certain places frequently where you spend time to configure settings for a website to your liking, among other things.

If you want absolutely no cookies kept between browser sessions then it makes a lot more sense to set your browser to purge cookies on exit.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Condobloke, just wanted to report back that your suggestion "create profile" seems to have worked. I am also using Malwarebytes extension.

Firefox is running smoothly and have had no bad experiences with any website.

Once again I want to thank you for your interest and assistance in resolving my issue...........it is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users