Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop has horizontal bar across bottom 1.5" wide

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:35 AM

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5908

Horizontal bar across bottom runs entire width of screen. there are thin vertical lines of various color and width, spaced variously in the horizontal bar. I can not see the start icon but can guess where it's at and it works fine.

External monitor plugged in and there is no problem on that screen. That should rule out any need for software updating. (?)

Does this rule out internal cabling and give near 100% diagnosis that something is wrong with the laptop screen?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:47 AM

It could be the screen, or it could be bad contacts in the LVDS cable connecting to the screen. I've certainly seen a symptom like that, and fixed it by cleaning the contact pads on the connectors at each end of the cable.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

I believe that is a fews years old, the ribbon cable could be the issue. Try moving the screen a few full cycles open to nearly closed and see if the issue changes any.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Platypus   --    which cable is LVDS....How to identify?

OldPhil  --   I tried moving screen as you describe. Nothing changed.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

The cable that carries the video signal from the mainboard, through the hinge assembly and up to the LCD panel usually utilizes Low Voltage Differential Signalling, and hence may be described as an LVDS cable. In order to facilitate assembly or replacement, the connection at each end is via a low profile socket, sometimes press-fit, sometimes with a clamping action. If the contacts tarnish there can be artifacts on the video signal that can result in symptoms similar to what you describe.

If that's the cause, and the connections are press-fit, simply withdrawing and refitting them a couple of times can often polish up the contacts enough to restore function. Where there's a clamp action socket, it's best to use an electrical cleaning spray and cotton tip to clean the cable/loom contacts, and whilst there are commercial cleaning swatches for the sockets, you can at a pinch use light card or heavy (e.g. 120-160GSM) white paper damped with contact cleaner to insert where a flat cable goes and draw out with slight pressure on the clamp, to wipe across the contacts.

If that cable has fractures, as OldPhil commented, moving it by opening and closing the screen will provoke the fault, although that usually causes more pronounced symptoms like flashing screen or loss of image.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

IMO go on Youtube find a screen replacement video for your LT, the process is pretty easy.  Follow the cleaning idea above, if no change order a screen, it will come with a new cable attached.  Screens are quite cheap!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

Okay guys, thanks for all the good info

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

You're welcome, hope you get it sorted.

#9 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

Platypus - yes and your information about the LVDS cable was spot on. On one end the contact strips were not adhered well to the supporting structure. I had to use magnification to see it. I attempted to use some glue to re-adhere them (they were curling upwards and bending to either side). One strip broke off so I quit. But it's sorted now. thanks again.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:07 AM

Glad to help, thanks for getting back to us!

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

One more question please; what are the little plastic push pins called that press the end of the lvds cable to the contacts in the low profile sockets? 

Do you know where I could get some of those?  I've managed to break several of them.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:11 AM

As far as I know, they're part of the socket assembly. I've never had to try to source a replacement.

#13 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Okay, have you sourced those sockets? I'm having trouble finding them...  Even with one of the little hooks broke off the end, it seems to be staying in place. All the same I'd rather buy a low profile socket and fix it right.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

I have never had to obtain one. When I was BenQ repairer I would have requested a part from them if I ever needed one, but that was quite some years ago.

They do seem to effectively remain in place with the locking tab broken off. A lot of vibration might dislodge it I guess.

Edited by Platypus, 10 June 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#15 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:28 PM

Okay Plat thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users